Agriculture, Food, and Human Values Society Calls for Abstracts and Student Research Paper Award Submissions

Call for Abstracts for the AFHVS Virtual 2021 Conference

Please share the attached Call for Abstracts for our 2021 virtual conference with your networks. The conference will be held during the week of June 9-15. Abstracts are due February 15 and must be submitted online. Full details are provided in the attached PDF. Please share widely with your networks. The CFA is provided in English, French, and Spanish and proposals may be submitted in any of these languages.

In this most unusual time, four academic organizations engaged in food studies are hosting a virtual conference centered on the theme of Food Justice. The title, Just Food: because it is never just food, highlights how food is ensconced in systems of exclusion, oppression, and power. We seek presentations* that reveal cultural and historical entanglements of food with social justice. We encourage scholars to examine the production, distribution, and consumption of food while keeping in mind power differentials in local and global systems. We invite submissions that reveal and/or seek to challenge the systemic injustices of the industrial and alternative food systems that marginalize the food histories, practices, and experiences of diverse communities including Indigenous, Black, and People of Color. We also seek papers that highlight the ways people use food for pleasure and autonomy. The conference hopes to make connections between diverse perspectives, to center historically marginalized voices, and to work towards building a greater understanding of how to achieve food justice on Turtle Island (North America) and globally.

*Presentation may include 20-minute papers, complete session/panel, roundtables, 7-minute lightning talk, workshop, or other creative events. Please submit a maximum of two submissions per person.

For more information, see the conference page.

Conference registration is live at this link.

Best,
Vanessa

Vanessa García Polanco, MS
Policy & Advocacy, Young Farmers
Board Member, AFHVS MIFFS
UNMGCY North America Regional Youth Focal Point, in support of UNFSS