From: Emmi Palenbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 10:14 AM
Cc: Davis, Lucy Henderson <[log in to unmask]>, Amanda Namsinh <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Environmental and Sustainability Studies Graduate Program Opportunity

Hello,

My name is Emmi Palenbaum and I am a Graduate Assistants for the Masters Program in Environmental and Sustainability Studies at College of Charleston in South Carolina. The Environmental and Sustainability Studies Program<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/mes.cofc.edu/__;!!HXCxUKc!mzfLBrshs2ncxzUpjJyervY5PvxHu4Kpd3eGhFr3kOlzQN0s4Gru9kR3Xr2ESKZa1A$> is a ~ two year interdisciplinary program that focuses on both natural science and social sciences with an environmental focus and an applied approach. We are a unique program in many ways, but one being that you do not have to acquire an advisor and a lab to work in prior to being admitted into the program, although we encourage all applicants to view our directory of researchers<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/mes.cofc.edu/faculty-and-staff/faculty-directory.php__;!!HXCxUKc!mzfLBrshs2ncxzUpjJyervY5PvxHu4Kpd3eGhFr3kOlzQN0s4Gru9kR3Xr00R-KEBA$> early to find someone who aligns well with their interests. In regards to funding<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/mes.cofc.edu/student-funding/index.php__;!!HXCxUKc!mzfLBrshs2ncxzUpjJyervY5PvxHu4Kpd3eGhFr3kOlzQN0s4Gru9kR3Xr2F-yHqrQ$>, we offer graduate, teaching and research assistantships, along with other scholarships and fellowships that are available through our program and through the graduate school. Also, we are no longer requiring a GRE score for the application to our program. See here<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/fb.watch/1zPGgJrh8J/__;!!HXCxUKc!mzfLBrshs2ncxzUpjJyervY5PvxHu4Kpd3eGhFr3kOlzQN0s4Gru9kR3Xr3ytWoFnw$> to view a testimonial video featuring some of our students!

Another unique aspect about the EVSS program is that we sponsor a Sustainable Agriculture Program<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/mes.cofc.edu/sustainable-agriculture/index.php__;!!HXCxUKc!mzfLBrshs2ncxzUpjJyervY5PvxHu4Kpd3eGhFr3kOlzQN0s4Gru9kR3Xr1AucfxuA$> on the College of Charleston’s campus. We manage and operate multiple student gardens, including a 5 acre garden at the Stono River Preserve<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/mes.cofc.edu/sustainable-agriculture/student-garden-at-stono-preserve.php__;!!HXCxUKc!mzfLBrshs2ncxzUpjJyervY5PvxHu4Kpd3eGhFr3kOlzQN0s4Gru9kR3Xr26lJSS7A$> and three urban gardens at downtown campus<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/mes.cofc.edu/sustainable-agriculture/urban-gardens-on-downtown-campus.php__;!!HXCxUKc!mzfLBrshs2ncxzUpjJyervY5PvxHu4Kpd3eGhFr3kOlzQN0s4Gru9kR3Xr269zhTMg$>. The mission of Sustainable Agriculture is to provide and support experiential education, research, and food production using sustainable lowcountry gardening practices for the College of Charleston, local schools, and Charleston regional community members. The gardens are managed by a team of graduate assistants and undergraduate interns. All students are able (and encouraged) to receive academic credit for their work with Sustainable Agriculture.

We will be hosting another prospective student webinar next Tuesday, November 10th at 4:00 PM. The attached flyer has the registration link<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc0ZLi6g4kHKDhiWPe0LyeGUvGbnB_UUcbzTtHXtiRGHHbwnA/viewform__;!!HXCxUKc!mzfLBrshs2ncxzUpjJyervY5PvxHu4Kpd3eGhFr3kOlzQN0s4Gru9kR3Xr1wtaQWfw$> and we will send a Zoom invite to those who have registered the morning of the event. Attached to this email you will find informational packets on our program, informational webinars, more information on our gardens, and a video from our current students. Please feel free to share these materials and contact information with your students.

Please do not hesitate to contact myself or the Environmental and Sustainability Studies Program Coordinator, Lucy Davis ([log in to unmask]), with any questions.

Best,

--
Emmi Palenbaum she/her
Graduate Assistant | Graduate Program in Environmental and Sustainability Studies