11/16/20 – 11/20/20

Hospitality Association Weekly Updates

Important Happenings

American Hotel and Lodging Association (AHLA)

Hospitality Legislation - Road to the President's Desk

When: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 7 pm Eastern Standard Time

Register:https://msu.zoom.us/webinar/register/8016052100474/WN_9T9wKzDARMmpHReORMogmw

The MSU AHLA Student Chapter invites all Hospitality Business students to learn about hospitality lobbying and how it impacts legislation as it climbs up Capitol Hill to the President's desk. There will also be a discussion on how legislation impacts us as current college students and future leaders in our industry! C-Suite executives will join us! This is a student dialog session so come prepared with questions

The panelists are:

This panel is being planned by the MSU AHLA Executive Board , so please come out and show these executives how engaged our school is!

Meetings and Events Club (MEC)

Greater Lansing Virtual Food Drive

When: November 16 - 23, 2020

With Thanksgiving quickly approaching, MEC will be giving back to the community by hosting a virtual food drive for the Greater Lansing Food Bank.

All of those who donate will be put into a raffle for a Target gift card!

Link to Donate: https://interland3.donorperfect.net/weblink/weblink.aspx?name=E344133&id=28&cfifid=113

Society for Hospitality and Foodservice Management (SHFM) & Spartan Beverage Society (SBS)

Thanksgiving Baskets: Our Savior Church

Our Savior Church will be sending out grocery lists to buy a basket of Thanksgiving food to donate to local families. SHFM& SBS will be collecting monetary donations via Venmo to purchase the items from the store. To donate you can Venmo:

When students are donating money, they should name their payment: SHFMSBSPhilanthropy

Donations will be collected until November 20th, 2020

Clubs and Events

Meetings and Events Club (MEC)

Guest Speaker: David Dubois President of IAEE

When: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 at 7:00 pm

Where: https://msu.zoom.us/j/93057052858

Password: MSUMEC

David DuBois, Hospitality Business alum, now President of IAEE, the International Association of Exhibitions and Events will be presenting to all hospitality students an overview of the events industry and information about managing and being involved in large scale exhibitions! Mr Dubois has paid for a free membership for all HB students and faculty so we can use IAEE resources for internships, mentoring, workshops, conferences and speakers and much more! This is a fantastic meeting for all those interested in event management!

National Minorities in Hospitality

Guest Speaker: Erica Davis - Solution Advisor Deloitte

When: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 5:30 pm

Where:  https://msu.zoom.us/j/95019261317

Erica Davis, Solution Advisor at Deloitte,former NSMH member and MSU Alumna will be joining NSMH to present on her experience graduating from MSU with a degree in Hospitality Business and her transition into the professional world.

Society for Hospitality and Foodservice Management (SHFM) & Spartan Beverage Society (SBS)

The History of Thanksgiving!

When: Thursday November 19, 2020 at 6:30 pm

Where: https://msu.zoom.us/j/93285860208

Meeting ID: 932 8586 0208

Passcode: SHFMSBS

SHFM Celebrates Thanksgiving! They will have a Kahoot (an interactive online trivia game) and presentation on the history of Thanksgiving food.

Hospitality Association Executive Board

Brendan, Rachel, Vinh, Jordan, Shawn, Stephanie, and Zach

The School of Hospitality Business

Michigan State University

https://hamsu.weebly.com/

WHO WILL MAKE BUSINESS HAPPEN?