Journal of International Management Special Issue Workshop
The Impact of Digital Technologies on Firms' International Strategies
11.00 am - 1.00 pm UTC (London), 12 December 2020
Submission Deadline: 31 October 2020

Organizers

Liang Chen (Melbourne)
Roger Strange (Sussex)

Panelists (guest editors of the special issue)

Roger Strange (Sussex)
Maria Tereza Leme Fleury (FGV SP)
Liang Chen (Melbourne)

Objectives

Responding to the rapidly growing interest in digital transformation in international business research and practices, this workshop brings together the editors of the JIM special issue on digital technologies to (a) foster a community of researchers interested in this field of research, (b) provide preliminary feedback to authors intended to submit their works to the JIM special issue.

Important Notes

  *   The workshop is highly recommended for those who wish to submit to the special issue, despite that submissions to the SI are subject to the normal JIM review process.
  *   For this workshop, we will select only 10 best proposals, whose authors will be invited to present.
  *   As always, the feedback provided to the papers will not bind the editorial decisions (e.g., desk rejection, R&R) on the manuscripts.
  *   All workshop participants need to register for the EIBA online 2020 conference. You will need to confirm participation by 15 November, which is the early-bird registration deadline for the conference.

Background

Digital technologies and their applications have been dramatically transforming the world economy and global businesses. Recently, international business (IB) scholars have drawn significant attention to digital-native firms-those born in the contemporary Internet age and offering value propositions based primarily on digital technologies-and their internationalization. This special issue is intended to investigate the phenomena and mechanisms regarding how digital technologies influence traditional firms' international strategies.

Format

We welcome all interested in this topic to join us for a plenary discussion introducing the special issue and identifying key issues and opportunities involved in studying digital transformation in IB. This is then followed by breakout room discussions (by invitation only) with guest co-editors. We will provide 10 spots for scholars who would like to receive initial, high quality feedback on their papers before they submit to the special issue. The workshop will end with a brief discussion of some common strengths and challenges the papers have.

Registration for the Workshop

Pre-registration for this workshop is required. Please submit your current CV and a 3-page summary of your research paper to Liang Chen ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>). Your submission should also have a cover page that includes all the author names, emails and affiliations. The deadline for submission is 15 October 2020. Upon acceptance, you will have the opportunity to submit the full paper if available.

If you plan on attending the plenary discussion only, please send an email to Liang Chen to indicate your interest. In the latter case, please include your name, title, research interest, and affiliation.

Topics of Interest

We welcome theoretical papers as well as empirical papers across a variety of methodologies, such as longitudinal case studies, survey, secondary analysis and simulation. We particularly welcome multidisciplinary research that draws on insights from a broad range of disciplines, including strategy, innovation, information systems and marketing. We also encourage submissions that investigate the implications for global businesses of contemporary digital phenomena such as AI, IoT, automation, 3D printing, robotics, big data, blockchain, platform ecosystems, and clout computing. Possible topics and research questions include, but not limited to:

  *   Why do some business models lend themselves to international expansion, whilst others must be adapted?
  *   What are the structural obstacles to the cross-border transfer of digital business models? To what extent do institutional distance and liabilities of foreignness still matter? What is the best entry strategy to overcome various obstacles?
  *   How do traditional MNEs from developed countries strengthen their advantages by combining them with digital and data competence? How would digital disruptions impair the accumulation and exploitation of conventional firm-specific advantages (FSAs)?
  *   What are the new FSAs driving firm performance in traditional sectors? What are emerging country firms' new FSAs?
  *   How do domestic manufacturing ecosystems benefit from digital industry platforms? How do digital infrastructures help firms overcome home country institutional constraints?
  *   How does digital transformation attenuate conventional disadvantages of emerging country firms, or bring about new disadvantages? How does user innovation help emerging country digital firms overcome FSA deficiency?
  *   How do MNEs manage the cooperative relationship with dominant platforms? What are viable strategies for SMEs to partner with incumbent platforms and manage expropriation hazards?
  *   What are the implications of digitization for the way the MNE is organized? How do MNEs create internal platforms for the production of knowledge? How do MNEs overcome legacy systems and conflicting institutional logics?
  *   Micro-multinationals rely on platform infrastructures and their functions, e.g. disintermediation. What are the costs and benefits of ecosystem/platform-based internationalization for micro-multinationals? How is it different from our understanding of alliances?

(For more information, please refer to the special issue CfP:

https://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-international-management/call-for-papers/the-impact-of-digital-technologies).

Liang Chen | Senior Lecturer in Management
Department of Management and Marketing | Faculty of Business and Economics
Level 10, The Spot, 198 Berkeley Street
The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia
T: +61 3 8344 2773 E: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
unimelb.edu.au<http://unimelb.edu.au/> | facebook.com/unimelb<http://facebook.com/unimelb> | twitter.com/dr_liangchen<http://twitter.com/dr_liangchen>

I acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land on which I work, and pay my respects to the Elders, past and present.

[cid:[log in to unmask]]

CRICOS: 00116K

This email and any attachments may contain personal information or information that is otherwise confidential or the subject of copyright. Any use, disclosure or copying of any part of it is prohibited. The University does not warrant that this email or any attachments are free from viruses or defects. Please check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening them. If this email is received in error, please delete it and notify us by return email.

For assistance:  [log in to unmask]
AIB-L is a moderated list.