All:

I have been reflecting on the pandemic and its implications for faculty, staff, and students. Each of us have unique lived experiences that are impacted by the pandemic.  None of these impacts is more “difficult” than any other – whether we are single, partnered, parents of small children or teenagers, non-parents, children of nearby elderly parents, living far from family, etc.  – we are all facing unprecedented uncertainty and associated stress that impacts our mental and physical wellbeing. In this light, collaboration seems particularly important.

There are a gazillion resources for teaching intro courses online (the SERC website is awesome, of course) and many fewer resources for effectively teaching remotely. I am working with several colleagues to help them make the move to online courses/labs – we are seeking that sweet spot where instructor effort and student outcomes are maximized 😊

Since Fall is ramping up, it occurred to me that others might have VERY NEW resources to share for courses other than intro to geo. Or, others may have immediate needs for courses that have not traditionally garnered a lot of attention.

I’ll go first – anyone have (or know of) new resources for moving mineralogy lab online?

Best
Julie

Julie Libarkin (she / her)
Professor & Director - Geocognition Research Lab
Michigan State University
288 Farm Lane, 206 Natural Science
East Lansing, MI 48824

Phone: 517-355-8369
Website: https://geocognitionresearchlaboratory.wordpress.com/

Michigan State University occupies the ancestral, traditional, and contemporary Lands of the Anishinaabeg–Three Fires Confederacy of Ojibwe, Odawa, and Potawatomi peoples. The University resides on Land ceded in the 1819 Treaty of Saginaw.
- http://aisp.msu.edu/about/land/