Julie et al.,

At the recent Earth Educators' Rendezvous, three of us led the workshop Teaching your upper-level geoscience course online: A community collaboration to build robust online courses. We put people together in disciplinary groups to work on specific courses - you can see the groups and the program here. The mineralogy and Earth materials groups made a lot of progress, and they are moving forward with some additional collaborations - I'm including Laurel Goodell in this reply because she'll know the latest.

There is also a Zoom session on Monday morning about 3D hand samples - I'll post the info about that at the end.

We also have a new set of resources for teaching with online field experiences that came out of a RAPID proposal to bring field camp instructors together to figure out how to address field camp this summer.

Hope that helps!

anne

Monday zoom information:

We are going to have one final (informal) webinar – following on our webinar series from last spring and this summer – on digital 3D Hand samples on Aug 10, 2020 (noon Easter; 11 am Central; 10 am Mountain; 9 am Pacific Time (US and Canada)).  The Link is below.  This topic was not directly covered in our earlier webinar series and is likely necessary for online Fall teaching.  Sara Carena (University of Munich, Germany) will be the main presenter.  If you would like to see examples of the types of 3D Hand samples that she will be demonstrating how to produce, here is a link (these are worth looking at):

https://sketchfab.com/saracarena1/collections/structural-geology

This webinar will be hosted by NAGT and it will be posted on the SERC website, so you can watch it even if you cannot make the meeting time.

On a related note, another community effort has recently been initiated to gather, curate and encourage development of resources for teaching with specimens in online Mineralogy/Petrology/Earth Resources courses.  If you are interested in more information about that group, please contact Rachel Teasdale, Laurel Goodell, Keith Putirka and/or Erik Klemetti.

We hope everyone is staying well this summer and that the virtual field activities went as well as possible.

Chris (for the organizers)

OVERVIEW OF THE AUGUST 10 SEMINAR: The goal of the seminar is to provide a description of setup and workflow for beginners to make 3D digital hand sample models.  In particular, the webinar is designed for people who have no specific experience in photography and photogrammetry, are on a limited budget, and may need to produce a large amount of material in a short time. Sara will give a brief overview also of sketchfab (which currently seems to be the easiest platform for wide distribution of models). She will briefly touch upon examples of applications for the models (e.g. embedding in virtual field exercises), but most of the presentation is going to be about how to actually make 3D models of rock samples and distribute them. This is a webinar for beginners; experts and advanced users probably would get bored.

Topic: 3D Hand samples webinar
Time: Aug 10, 2020 09:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/92532228346?pwd=WExhdFpTamdkKzdHU3o3bVlpYVBJZz09

Meeting ID: 925 3222 8346
Passcode: 590353