AIB 2020 Online may be mostly over, but there are still plenty of reasons to celebrate. During these difficult times, our members have continued to innovate the field of IB research and, as always, we want to recognize their exceptional scholarship.

Our 2020 award nominees are a credit, both to our association and our discipline as a whole. Please join us in congratulating all of them!

If you took part in our Annual Meeting, be sure to log into our conference portal to watch these prize-worthy presentations—they're available for viewing until at least July 31.

And now, we are proud to announce our 2020 award winners... (For maximum dramatic effect, please scroll down slowly.)

Peter J. Buckley and Mark Casson
AIB Dissertation Award

Award Sponsors

henley business school logouniversity of leeds logo

2020 Award Winner

Noman Shaheer
(Ph.D. from University of South Carolina)
Reappraising International Business in a Digital Arena: Barriers, Strategies, and Context for Internationalization of Mobile Apps

AIB Presidential Recognition Award

2020 Award Winner

United Nations Conference on Trade and Development
Received by: James Zhan, Director, Investment and Enterprise;
Editor-in-Chief, World Investment Report

In recognition of the 30th year of the World Investment Report, noting the significance of the report and its contribution to the field of international business.

Temple/AIB Best Paper Award

Award Sponsor

temple university's fox school of business logo

2020 Award Winners

Noman ShaheerSali Li, and Richard Priem

Location and Capabilities for Digital Internationalization

Alan M. Rugman Young Scholar Award

2020 Award Winners

Carlo BrighiKomal Kalra, and Mike Szymanski
It’s Not What You Say, It’s How You Say It

AIB Award for the Best Doctoral Dissertation Proposal

2020 Award Co-Winners

Brian Chindondondo
Revisiting Spillovers Through the Lens of Resource Dependence Theory: The Role of Access Relationships in Low Income Countries

Vera Kunczer
Political Dynamics and Anti-foreignism: Multinational Investments
Under Political Disorder

UNCTAD-AIB Award for Research on
Investment and Development

Award Sponsor

2020 Award Winner

Yamlaksira Getachew
Loyola Marymount University, USA
Contract Enforcement Institutions and MNE Integration Strategies: Implications for Exit from The Least-Developed Countries

FIU/AIB Best Theory Paper Award

Award Sponsor

2020 Award Winners

Mooweon RheeValerie Alexandra, and K. Skylar Powell
Individualism-Collectivism Cultural Differences in Performance Feedback Theory

“That’s Interesting!” Award

Award Sponsor

aalto university award sponsor logo

2020 Award Winners

Arzi AdbiAnant Mishra, and Chirantan Chatterjee
Nations within a Nation? Pandemic, Subnational Heterogeneity, and MNE Market Share in an Emerging Economy

Best Paper Award in
Emerging Economies Research

Award Sponsor

bryant university award sponsor logo

2020 Award Winners

Vivien E. JancenelleRajshekhar G. Javalgi, and Dominic Buccieri
Informal Family Firms Across Africa: Socioemotional Wealth as a Path Towards Economic Independence Through Prosocial Crowdfunding

CUIBE Award for Best Paper on
International Business Education

Award Sponsor

cuibe award sponsor logo

2020 Award Winners

Iris BerdrowSam Woolford
Maria Skaletsky, and Allan Bird

Intercultural Effectiveness: Do International Experiences Move the Needle

2020 WAIB Awards

Awards Sponsor

WAIB Best Paper Award Winners

Sonja Kristin Franzke and Fabian Jintae Froese
Same But Different? How Female Entrepreneurs in Beijing, Berlin, and London Manage Gender Stereotypes

WAIB Emerging Scholar Award Winner

June Lee
University of San Francisco

WAIB Woman of the Year Award