California Management Review (CMR)

Special issue on

The future of value chains in a post-pandemic world

Guest Editors:
Rajat Panwar, Appalachian State University, USA
Jonatan Pinkse, University of Manchester, UK
Valentina De Marchi, University of Padova, Italy

The COVID-19 outbreak has given an unprecedented shock to the global economy. It has also laid bare the vulnerabilities of many practices that have overtime become defining and sacrosanct features of our economic systems. In particular, global value chains (GVCs) and global production and supply networks (GPSNs) have come under scrutiny as distant production facilities closed down, demand patterns shifted, and mobility of goods came to a virtual halt. Concerns have been noted about overreliance on GPSNs to meet even the most basics of our needs. Disruptions caused by the COVID-19 outbreak to supply networks have inflicted immense hardships
upon firms and communities globally. It is incumbent upon management scholars to reflect upon this distressful situation and develop knowledge to avert its reoccurrence.

The aim of this Special Issue is to stimulate these debates by combining a range of management perspectives including, but not limited to, sustainability, strategy, entrepreneurship, marketing, finance, and innovation. Consistent with the mission of CMR, all papers should provide novel insights into the practice of management
and policy formation, offering managers explicit and concrete guidance about better ways of doing business. Papers can be single or multidisciplinary, and they can be empirical (quantitative, qualitative and mixed methods) or conceptual.

Full CFP is attached.

Timothy M. Devinney

Chair and Professor of International Business

Alliance Manchester Business School

Room 5.048

Booth Street West

University of Manchester | Manchester | M15 6PB | UK

UK (Mob): +44 (77) 9302 3516 (My Main Number)

Other Numbers:

Australia (Mob): +61 412 276 467

USA (Mob): +1 (617) 513 5430

Germany (Mob): +49 (151) 5316 7974