*We are pleased to announce the launch of a fast-reaction essay contest on
historical lessons for managers who are trying to cope with the impact of
COVID-19. Although some journalists have said that this pandemic is
unprecedented, there are actually historical parallels, such as Asian Flu
in 1957 and the Spanish Influenza outbreak of 1918-20 on which we can draw.
By looking at how managers in the past coped with similar crises, we can
provide advice to today’s managers. We are seeking essays of 4-5 pages. The
essays are due on 21 April and cash prizes for the first and second place
essays have been provided. Full details of the contest are available on the
contest website.  https://www.historylessonscovid.org/
<https://www.historylessonscovid.org/>*

*Essay Contest Question*

*During crises, managers have special responsibilities to stakeholders.
COVID-19 is clearly a major crisis. What lessons for today’s managers can
we learn from studying how managers in the past responded to previous
crises such as epidemics and pandemics as well as wars and natural
disasters?*

*Contest Rules*

1.      DEADLINE: All essays must be received by Tuesday 21 April by 11pm
EST (New York time). The essays must be submitted before the deadline to

2.      TERMS:

a.       Participants are free to base their essays on either primary
sources, secondary sources, or a mixture of the two but they must not break
local self-isolation/social distancing guidelines in the course of
preparing their essays.  No going to the library!!

b.      *By submitting your essay, you declare that you are the author, is
based on accurate historical data, and that you give us your consent to
publish the essay.*

3.      FORMAT:

a.       Essays must be fully referenced according to a single consistent
format such as APA or Chicago footnotes and should be between 4 and 5 pages
(double spaced, Times New Roman, 12 point font) not including list of
references at the end.

b.      APA format and should be between 4 and 5 pages (double spaced,
Times New Roman, 12 point font) not including list of references at the end.

c.       We encourage authors to *hyperlink* to cited sources whenever
possible.

d.      Each essay must begin with a one-paragraph practitioner summary
that gives clear advice to managers.

e.       All submitted essays must be in English.

f.        Essays can summarise your own previously published research, and
can draw on the existing secondary literature, or can be based on primary
source you start doing now.

4.      ADJUDICATION: The submissions will be judged by jurors drawn from
the Contest’s Scientific Committee, comprised of distinguished business
historians who have relevant expertise and who have, in the past, made
historical research findings relevant to managers (see below for the list
of potential jurors.) The Committee’s findings will be final.

5.      PRIZES: The prize for the best essay is $500 U.S. The prize for the
second best essay is £200.

6.      CRITERIA: In judging the essays, we will give equal weighting to
two criteria: the utility of managers of the recommendations you provide
based on your historical research and the reliability of your historical
research findings. Your conclusions about what worked for managers in the
past will be more convincing to the jury if they are based on solid
historical research and analysis rather than a very limited and cursory
review of a couple of sources.

*Acknowledgement*

The Prize for the best essay of 500USD has been generously donated by
Professor Dimitry Anastakis, L.R. Wilson/R.J. Currie Chair in Canadian
Business History at the Rotman School, University of Toronto.

The Prize for the second-best essay of 200GBP has been generously provided
by Dr Nicholas Wong, of Newcastle Business School, Northumbria University.

Many thanks to the leadership and IT staff Gesellschaft für
Unternehmensgeschichte for hosting the website associated with this
conference.

*Other Notes*

All essays deemed by this jury to be of sufficient quality will be
published online at http://www.historylessonscovid.org/ under a Creative
Commons 4.0 licence. The essays will contain a disclaimer saying they have
not gone through peer review and should not be construed as investment
advice for individuals.

Essays must be signed with the real names of the author or authors.

The contest organisers reserve the right to *lightly* edit essays for style
and English expression prior to their publication on the website. We do not
expect contestants who are not native speakers to submit essays that are
linguistically perfect in all respects, especially are you are working
under a tight deadline. However, we do not have the resources to engage in
extensive editing so please ensure your writing is reasonably clear before
you submit.

The contest is open to everyone: academics, students (graduate, MBA,
undergraduates), practitioners, independent scholars.

We define history as the study of episodes in the past. You are free,
therefore, to distil lessons for today’s managers from relatively recent
historical events (such as the SARS outbreak, the 2011 earthquake the
disrupted supply chains in Japan) as well as more distant ones, such as
Hong Kong Flu in 1968, Asian Flu pandemic in 1957
<https://bjgp.org/content/59/565/622>, and the Spanish Flu in 1918. If you
can derive lessons for today’s managers from even earlier epidemics, such
the cholera epidemics of the nineteenth century or even the Black Death, go
for it.  However, we expect that the findings presented in the essays will
be derived from the systemic study of historical sources rather than
personal recollections. An executive’s recollection of how he or she dealt
with the impact of SARS on a supply chain would not, in our view, be
considered truly historical and would be unlikely to win the prize.
However, we would encourage managers who have such experience to share
advice with other managers in other online forums. Similarly, while we
would encourage Chinese managers who successful coped with the epidemic at
the start of the 2020 to share advice with their counterparts in other
countries, our essay contest is not the forum to do so as the relevant
experience is not historical.

In judging the essays, we will give equal weighting to two criteria: the
utility of managers of the recommendations you provide based on your
historical research and the reliability of your historical research
findings. Your conclusions about what worked for managers in the past will
be more convincing to the jury if they are based on solid historical
research and analysis rather than a very limited and cursory review of a
couple of primary sources.  The jury’s understanding of what constitutes
reliable sources of historical information will likely be informed by some
of the principles outlined in Lipartito (2014).

Lipartito, K. (2014). Historical sources and data. In Bucheli, M., &
Wadhwani, R. D. (Eds.). (2014). Organizations in time: History, theory,
methods. Oxford University Press. pages 284-304.

*Scientific Committee:*

Alfred Reckendrees, Copenhagen Business School

Andrea H. Schneider-Braunberger, Gesellschaft für Unternehmensgeschichte
GUG e.V., Frankfurt-am-Main

Aparajith Ramnath, Amrut Mody School of Management, Ahmedabad University

Catherine Casson, University of Manchester

Charles Harvey, Newcastle University Business School

Chris McKenna, Saïd Business School and Brasenose College, Oxford

Dimitry Anastakis, Wilson-Currie Chair in Business History, University of
Toronto

Greig Mordue, ArcelorMittal Chair in Advanced Manufacturing Policy,
McMaster University

Hubert Bonin, Université de Bordeaux

Jan Ottosson, Professor of Economic History Uppsala University

John Wilson, Newcastle Business School

Kenneth Lipartito,  Florida International University

Laurence B. Mussio, PhD, SIERC, Inc.; Co-Founder, Long Run Initiative (LRI).

Ludovic Cailluet, EDHEC Business School, Paris and Lille

Marcelo Bucheli, Gies College of Business, University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign

Mark Wilson, UNC Charlotte

Nicholas Wong, Newcastle Business School

Peter Miskell, Henley Business School

Pierre-Yves Donzé, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics

Rika Fujioka, Faculty of Commerce, Kansai University

Robert E. Wright, Rudy and Marilyn Nef Family Chair of Political Economy at
Augustana University

Rowena Olegario, Oxford Centre for Global History

Tom Buckley, University of Sheffield Management School

--
Dr Tom Buckley
Lecturer in International Business Strategy

0114 222 3437

For assistance:  [log in to unmask]
AIB-L is a moderated list.