Journal of World Business

A Special Issue on

Time Matters: Rethinking the Role of Time in International Business Research

Submissions open August 15, 2020; Submissions due August 30, 2020

Guest Editors:

Emmanuella Plakoyiannaki, University of Vienna, Austria

Eriikka Paavilainen-Mäntymäki, University of Turku, Finland

Melanie E. Hassett, University of Sheffield, UK

Elizabeth L. Rose, University of Leeds, UK

Peter W. Liesch, The University of Queensland, Australia

Supervising Editor:

Ulf Anderson, Mälardalen University, Sweden

Special Issue Overview

This special issue intends to stimulate thinking on the role and impact of time in International Business (IB) theory and practice. We seek conceptual, theoretical and empirical – both qualitative and quantitative – papers that advance our understanding of temporal issues as they pertain to IB phenomena.

Please see the attached call for more detail.

Objectives of this Special Issue

Illustrative Topics

We encourage conceptual, methodological and empirical contributions that address, but are not limited to, the following topics:

Philosophical domain: Theorizing about time in IB

·         How do different conceptions of time (e.g., subjective; organic; cyclical) advance knowledge of IB phenomena?

·         How do different philosophical traditions (e.g., interpretivism, phenomenology, critical realism, positivism) define the study of time in IB scholarship?

Conceptual domain: The role of time in the conceptualization of IB phenomena

·         How can we define time in IB research?

·         What is the role of time in theorizing in IB?

·         How can process and variance-oriented research complement one another in providing IB with stronger theoretical bases?

·         How is time conceptualized in IB research?

·         How can time-related concepts be defined in IB research?

·         How do IB researchers take advantage of dynamic theories?

Methodological domain: Accounting for time in research design

·         How can we incorporate time into the assembly of qualitative and quantitative data in IB research?

·         How can we analyse longitudinal or process data – qualitatively and quantitatively?

·         How can we incorporate practices and methods from business history research into IB?

We look forward to your submissions that address the important issue of advancing our understanding of time in the context of IB.

Submission Process

Between August 15 and August 31, 2020, authors should submit their manuscripts online via the Journal of World Business submission system. To ensure that all manuscripts are correctly identified for consideration for this Special Issue, it is important that authors select ‘VSI: Time Matters’ when they reach the “Article Type” step in the submission process. Manuscripts should be prepared in accordance with the Journal of World Business Guide for Authors available at

www.elsevier.com/journals/journal-of-world-business/1090-9516/guide-for-authors.

All submitted manuscripts will be subject to the Journal of World Business’ double-blind review process.

For more information, please contact the guest editors

Emmanuella Plakoyiannaki, [log in to unmask]t

Eriikka Paavilainen-Mäntymäki, [log in to unmask]

Melanie E. Hassett, [log in to unmask]

Elizabeth L. Rose, [log in to unmask]

Peter Liesch, [log in to unmask]