Title
Assistant Research Scientist (UPDATED)
Department
Chemistry & Biochemistry - Sci (2536)
Location
Main Campus
Position Summary

Note: There was a slight update in the Position Summary section, now it says ‘build and study a faculty professional development model.’ As a result the new review date is 1/13/2020

The Talanquer Laboratory at the University of Arizona is seeking a motivated Assistant Research Scientist to work with a National Science Foundation sponsored project designed to build and study a faculty professional development model for improving instructional teams’ abilities to practice evidence-based instruction in large enrollment STEM collaborative learning environments.

Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!

The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here<http://www.whyua.arizona.edu/>.

The University of Arizona is in the process of creating a new classification and compensation architecture. This University Career Architecture Project (UCAP) will revolutionize the way we think about professions and manage compensation at the UA. It is a two year initiative that will replace the current classified staff and appointed professional categories of employment with market-based job functions and families. As an applicant, UCAP will create clearer career paths and opportunities and will help you make more informed pay decisions. To learn more about this project, please visit ucap.arizona.edu.
Duties & Responsibilities

  *   Working with other project team members on research activities such as study design, data collection, data analysis, and collaborative writing for publication and scholarly presentation.
  *   Working collaboratively with project PIs and research scientists to organize and evaluate professional learning activities including creating and conducting workshops and facilitating professional learning communities for faculty, graduate student, and undergraduate student participants in the project, along with creating and deploying assessments of the training and results.
  *   Assisting in the project management activities necessary to support the professional learning activities and research activities to capture the results of the project.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities

  *   Excellent written and oral communication skills
  *   Ability to collaborate with project team members at all levels to plan and implement project activities
  *   Ability to engage in data collection, data analysis, and collaborative scholarly writing for publication and research presentations.
  *   Strong organizational skills, including meeting deadlines and PI-team expectations.
Minimum Qualifications

Master’s degree in Science, Science Education, or a closely related field.
Preferred Qualifications

  *   Ph.D. in Science, Science Education, or a closely related field.
  *   Experience coordinating professional learning programs for university faculty, staff and/or students.
  *   Recent research experience, presentations, and publications in STEM Education.
  *   Knowledge of research on instruction, student learning, and formative assessment.
  *   Experience developing curriculum, learning tasks, or training courses on STEM teaching and learning.
FLSA
Exempt
Full Time/Part Time
To be determined.
Number of Hours Worked per Week
20 - 40
Job Category
Research
Benefits Eligible
Yes - Full Benefits
Posted Rate of Pay
$50,000 Annually
Type of criminal background check required:
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number
A24384
Number of Vacancies
One
Desired Start Date
02/01/2020
Position End Date (if temporary)
Limited to Current UA Employees
No
Contact Information for Candidates

Vicente Talanquer
Open Date
12/17/2019
Close Date
Open Until Filled
Yes
Review Begins On
01/13/2020
Special Instructions to Applicant
Diversity Statement

At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.
Quick Link for Internal Postings
http://uacareers.com/postings/43686