Diversification in the Era of Non-Normal

10th Annual Conference of the Academy of International Business (AIB) Latin America and the Caribbean Chapter (AIB-LAC formerly known as AIB-LAT)

June 30th and July 1st, 2020

Florida International University Downtown on Brickell Avenue

Miami, United States

Our system is open for submimissions. Submit your paper by December 10th 2019 at: https://meetings.aib.msu.edu/lat/2020/

NOTICE:

We want to inform you that the AIB-LAC conference will be relocated from St. Agustin in Trinidad and Tobago to Miami; and now our conference will take place just before the AIB conference.
As many of you know, on the 16th October 2019 all AIB members (3500+ in 93 countries) received an email from AIB Secretariat where we were communicated that due to the current circumstances in Hong Kong, the main conference (July 2-6) was relocated to Miami. This had consequences to us at AIB-LAC. As you might be aware, many academics in Latin America and the Caribbean have budget only for one international conference. A good number might had prioritized Trinidad and Tobago over Hong Kong. Now that the conference is in Miami, some academics in the LAC region have expressed they would give priority to Miami instead Trinidad and Tobago. This was taken to AIB-LAC country representatives, and most of them confirmed that based on their knowledge, their members would choose Miami over Trinidad and Tobago.

Therefore, we found that the relocation of the main AIB conference would negatively affect the number of attendees to our annual conference in Trinidad and Tobago. For that reason, the AIB-LAC board decided to relocate the conference from Trinidad and Tobago to Miami to be held right before the main AIB conference.

We want to express our thanks to our hosts at the University of West Indies in St. Augustin in Trinidad and Tobago. We especially want to highlight the willingness, great support and enthusiasm of our local hostess Dr. Meena Rambocas.

We know that this situation can be disappointing for many who had already expectations with the conference in March in Trinidad and Tobago; however, we would thank your understanding and flexibility. We do hope to reschedule a conference in Trinidad and Tobago in the future.

Diversification in the Era of Non-Normal

10th Annual Conference of the Academy of International Business (AIB) Latin America and the Caribbean Chapter (AIB-LAC formerly known as AIB-LAT)

June 30th and July 1st, 2020

Miami, United States

Call for papers:

The scale of change businesses will face in the next decade or so is likely to surpass that of the past half-century. This increasing pace of change is challenging our old assumptions and changing the way we do business, creating an environment where uncertainty has become the new normal.

Thus, leading and achieving success in globalized markets in the near future—where exponential change, volatility, uncertainty, and disruption are the new norm—could be a challenge for managers and executives..

We have seen that the continued decline in commodity prices and sluggish growth in the global economy pose several economic, social, and political challenges for the Caribbean and Latin American region.  These uncertainties, coupled with the region’s volatility and over-reliance on a small number of foreign markets, are compelling governments and businesses to seek market expansion opportunities across national borders. In light of these challenges, the interest in diversification has gained increased momentum in the region, where numerous stakeholders have voiced their appeals for the inclusion of diversification, innovation, and entrepreneurship within the region’s developmental agenda.

Effective diversification, a risk-reduction strategy that involves adding product, services, location, customers and/or markets to your company’s portfolio to set you apart from the competition should help MNEs and SMEs alike to pursue pioneering and effective expansion strategies to capitalize on the opportunities in today’s globalized and uncertain environment. Though diversification firms can propel the region’s competitive advantages and reduce the management complexities managers are facing today.

To address these and other related issues, the Latin American & Caribbean Chapter of the Academy of International Business (AIB-LAC) announces its 10th Annual Conference “Diversification in the Era of Non-Normal”, to be hosted by Florida International University (FIU) at its Downtown campus on Brickell Avenue in Miami.

We cordially invite you to submit your research related to the conference theme. But research more broadly based on internationalbusiness, Latin America and the Caribbean regions will also be welcomed. The review of manuscripts will be coordinated by the conference Program Chair Professor Ronaldo Parente (Florida International University), with support from the track chairs listed below.

Conference tracks:

IMPORTANT DATES

All submissions will be handled through the AIB online submission system. Please refer to the detailed submission instructions page for additional information on how to prepare and submit your submission.  Submission system: https://meetings.aib.msu.edu/lat/2020/

Local Host: Florida International University (FIU):

The College of Business is among the 5 percent of elite business schools worldwide accredited by the AACSB International - The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. The College also receives high marks for its undergraduate and graduate programs, as well as faculty research productivity, by influential rankings organizations worldwide.

#1 Master's in Human Resource Management Program (HR.com, 2019)

#1 Undergraduate Human Resource Management Program (HR.com, 2019)

#1 Real Estate Research Productivity, U.S. (Journal of Real Estate Literature, 2018)

#2 Undergraduate International Business Program (U.S. News Best Colleges, 2020)

#6 Master's in Finance Program, World (Financial Times, 2018)

#6 Master's in Marketing Program, U.S. (QS World University Rankings, 2019)

#12 International MBA Program (U.S. News & World Report, 2019)

#17 Online Master's in Business Program (U.S. News & World Report, 2019)

#27 Full-Time MBA Program, U.S. (América Economía, 2019)

Publication opportunities:

Direct interactions and opportunities for obtaining face-to-face paper development ideas from editorial board members of top journals such as: Journal of International Business Studies (JIBS), Journal of International Business Policy (JIBP), Cross Cultural & Strategic Management (CCSM), UNCTAD Transnational Corporations Journal, Journal of World Business (JWB), Global Strategy Journal (GSJ), Multinationals Business Review (MBR),  International Journal of Emerging Markets, Strategic Management Journal (SMJ), Journal of International Management, amongst others. Interact with publishers such as Palgrave and Emerald to discuss your publication projects.

Networking opportunities:

Further Information:

-----
Maria Alejandra Gonzalez-Perez (PhD)
Full Professor of Management
Departament of Management
Universidad EAFIT, Colombia
http://www.eafit.edu.co/docentes-investigadores/Paginas/maria-alejandra-gonzalez-perez.aspx
Phone: + (57 4) 261 9500, extensión 9431

Carrera 49 N° 7 sur – 50, Medellín – Colombia
· Inspira Crea Transforma ·