"Strategic Management of Intellectual Property in Business Organizations: Value, Use and Risks"

19th November 2019 at the University of Milano-Bicocca, Piazza dell’Ateneo Nuovo, 1, Milan (Italy).

SAVE THE DATE for the 2019 I3PM Meets Academia conference

ORGANIZERS:

Peter Bittner, International Institute for Intellectual Property Management (I3PM)
Bent Lundsager, Zacco, Copenhagen, Denmark
Salvatore Torrisi, University of Milano-Bicocca, Italy

On 19th November 2019 The Department of Economics, Management and Statistics (DEMS) of the University of Milano-Bicocca, will host the 2019 I3PM Meets Academia Conference in cooperation with the International Institute for Intellectual Property Management (I3PM). The conference is sponsored by Zacco and supported by the European Policy for Intellectual Property Association (EPIP) and the Center for European Studies (CefES), University of Milano-Bicocca.

The conference aims at providing a forum where academics interested in the economics and management of innovation and IP managers can discuss topics that are of critical importance for research as well as business practice. Although IP protection is crucially important for a firm’s competitive advantage, especially in technology sectors, many firms do not invest in the protection of their intellectual property and even firms that spend money in legal protection (e.g. patents) show a limited capacity to create and extract valuable from their investment. This problem is due to a limited attention and effort to integrate IP management with competitive strategy and often results in IP functions of a company being considered by top management as cost centers rather than value adding functions. To increase the firms’ awareness and attention to the strategic potential of IP scholars and business practitioners have to demonstrate the value added of legal protection of intellectual property and the conditions that affect such value.

Investment in legal protection like patents can improve the negotiation power of a company vs. other IP owners in potential infringement situations to get access to third party IP under reasonable terms, thus improving the company’s freedom to operate. At the same time, patenting does not eliminate the risk of infringement and litigation, which contributes to explain the reluctance of some firms to patent. Understanding the nature and sources of risks associated with patenting as a basis for finding solutions to mitigate such risks is a topic addressed by this conference.

We aim to bring about much interaction among speakers from academia and industry and amongst participants. We strive to continue along the tracks laid out at previous successful I3PM conferences in Strasbourg and Ingolstadt.

Prominent speakers from academia who have already confirmed are

Prominent speakers from industry who have already confirmed are:

The program and the registration form for the conference are available on the following website: www.i3pm.org (early registration deadline 3rd Nov 2019).

--
Lorena M. D'Agostino, PhD
Assistant Professor