Full-Time Position with Growing Hope
  YOUTH AND SCHOOLS MANAGER

About Growing Hope
 Growing Hope is a 15-year-old non-profit organization rooted in Ypsilanti, Michigan whose mission is to foster an equitable and sustainable local food system that empowers all people to grow, buy, sell, prepare, and eat nourishing food. We envision a community where all people--particularly those with barriers due to race, class, culture, language, ability, and mobility--have access to nourishing local food that is culturally appropriate and affordable. People can grow and prepare their own harvests, and may earn a living as a food grower, producer, or entrepreneur.

Our areas of work include Youth & Schools, Farm & Garden, Farmers Markets, and Food Entrepreneurship. This position will work out of the Growing Hope Center and Urban Farm, a 1.4 acre property in the heart of Ypsilanti. The Urban Farm is a multi-purpose space used for organic-practice production, garden demonstration, and youth and adult education and events.

Organizational Culture and Values
 Our culture is rooted in our values: Transformation, Education, Justice & Equity, Placemaking, and Integrity. We commit to upholding inclusive practices and policies while creating space for courageous conversations as a staff and within our community. Instead of simply providing services, we aim to leverage the vast resources already within our community in order to empower and partner with participants and customers. We believe that community members have the ability to make their own decisions about their health and wellness goals and that Growing Hope acts as a resource to increase access and opportunities to meet these goals.

About the Position
Growing Hope is looking for an experienced educator to join our team. The Youth and Schools Manager is a full-time position that oversees all youth programs at Growing Hope. This position includes managing and coordinating youth areas of work that emphasize changing the food system through youth garden based education, promotion of diets based on wellness in school and community environments and building youth leadership.  Our youth areas of work include: direct garden-based education for pre-k to grade 12 at our urban farm; a teen leadership program, and working on local farm to school efforts.

Essential to the position is engagement in the Ypsilanti community, specifically through participation in youth-centered networks and coalitions. Manager will work on farm to school activities including supporting school garden development and healthy food sourcing. The position looks at emerging best-practice models and community input to make strategic decisions for program implementation.

The Youth and School Manager will work closely with other staff and community partners to plan, run and evaluate programming for youth ages pre-K to 18 years’ age who live in low-income households.
This is a full-time salaried position with full health benefits. While most hours will be M-F 9-5, this position requires evening and weekend activities.  The Youth and Schools Manager reports to the Program Director and is responsible for the management of several interns, volunteers and the paid teen leaders.

POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES:

Program Management & Implementation

  *   Creating and implementing detailed youth program plans, based on Growing Hope’s values and mission.

  *   Managing scheduling and training for staff, interns and teen leaders.

  *   Garden based work with youth including formal and informal educational programs with a focus on STEM and food justice.

  *   Involvement with youth-related networks and coalitions, including the Ypsilanti Farm to School committee and other local grassroots work.

  *   Overseeing youth evaluation plans, implementation, analysis and reporting.

Organizational

  *   Staying up to date on trends, best-practices, and going-ons within the food justice movement.

  *   Work with annual budgets and management of program cash-flow.

  *   Support submission of grant proposals and reporting, including continuous detailed record keeping.

  *   Collaborate on organizational fundraising behind the scenes and within programs.

QUALIFICATIONS:

  *   Passion for Growing Hope’s mission and work.

  *   Creativity, flexibility and resourcefulness. A positive outlook and approach based on building resiliency and abundance in our community.

  *   Experienced educator. Specifically working with teenagers in hands on settings. Knowledge of models for youth empowerment and youth leadership development.

  *   Demonstrated knowledge and first-hand experience with sustainable gardening, cooking and/or nutrition.

  *   Self-directed, ability to work independently and with a team.

  *   Skilled communicator (oral, written) comfortable communicating in person, by phone, email, in front of groups, and to a variety of audiences.

  *   Interest in working collaboratively with people from diverse backgrounds in terms of race, ethnicity, gender (including non-binary), sexual orientation, class, and religion.

  *   Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Google Docs, Google Drive, and E-mail.

  *   Clean background check, driving record, and valid drivers license required.

  *   Preference given to Ypsilanti-area residents or those willing to relocate to and engage in the Ypsilanti community.

Qualities that will enhance your application:

  *   Experience creating and following lesson plans.

  *   Training in place-based, experiential and/or popular education.

  *   Practice managing relationships with school and community leaders (preferably in Ypsilanti).

  *   Knowledge of asset-based community organizing and social justice work.

  *   Knowledge of the food system, farm & food policy and the local food justice movement.

  *   Interest and experience talking about systemic racism and white supremacy.

  *   Spanish, Arabic, Anishinaabemowin language skills a plus.

To Apply:
Application deadline is August 1st, with start date early September.  Submit resume or description of relevant experience and letter detailing your interest in the position, with 3 references (professional or personal) to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.  No formal education is required for this position.

Growing Hope encourages people of color and individuals who possess an in-depth understanding of poverty or economic hardship to apply. We welcome a diverse pool of applicants and make employment decisions on the basis of merit. We do not discriminate potential employees based on race, creed, age, physical ability, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or marital status.

Accommodations will be made so that the application process and position is made accessible for qualified applicants.

Elizabeth Bee Ayer

Owner, Farmer - Get Down Farm<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.getdown.farm_&d=DwMFaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=dWvhVGYdXPgQj6pG0e9NFA&m=mdKFD_9AmL67wJqB-IdecfWS_O8400Sx5g9jk1DGtkQ&s=cpbZFa7Z3DRndWHe27lcJfWNNZL5l8IqZltfXVsywfQ&e=>
Director of Programs & Operations - Growing Hope<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__growinghope.net_&d=DwMFaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=dWvhVGYdXPgQj6pG0e9NFA&m=mdKFD_9AmL67wJqB-IdecfWS_O8400Sx5g9jk1DGtkQ&s=gz3oq3W6Av3XVnKrfFzsgyhYb7s_PFTvlXfJD-_i7A4&e=>
 <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.getdown.farm_&d=DwMFaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=dWvhVGYdXPgQj6pG0e9NFA&m=mdKFD_9AmL67wJqB-IdecfWS_O8400Sx5g9jk1DGtkQ&s=cpbZFa7Z3DRndWHe27lcJfWNNZL5l8IqZltfXVsywfQ&e=>
W: ElizabethBeeAyer.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ElizabethBeeAyer.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=dWvhVGYdXPgQj6pG0e9NFA&m=mdKFD_9AmL67wJqB-IdecfWS_O8400Sx5g9jk1DGtkQ&s=Rx1RKR6WrCV_whc2ksIDKrdWw8TbZX7U3PXN31Badw4&e=>
E:  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
P:  917-589-6619

Instagram  <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.instagram.com_farmerbees_&d=DwMFaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=dWvhVGYdXPgQj6pG0e9NFA&m=mdKFD_9AmL67wJqB-IdecfWS_O8400Sx5g9jk1DGtkQ&s=Ig3pHeuEdjaaPiN6-gaoyR8GMmnmTmV2be6RvKpZ-Sk&e=> [https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/icons/instagram.png] <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.instagram.com_farmerbees_&d=DwMFaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=dWvhVGYdXPgQj6pG0e9NFA&m=mdKFD_9AmL67wJqB-IdecfWS_O8400Sx5g9jk1DGtkQ&s=Ig3pHeuEdjaaPiN6-gaoyR8GMmnmTmV2be6RvKpZ-Sk&e=>
Facebook <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_BeeAyer&d=DwMFaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=dWvhVGYdXPgQj6pG0e9NFA&m=mdKFD_9AmL67wJqB-IdecfWS_O8400Sx5g9jk1DGtkQ&s=ICIQhPm9siqYkyiuQc8QIRPl1_Nj_fGuUpzPo6zlrPA&e=> [Facebook] <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_BeeAyer&d=DwMFaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=dWvhVGYdXPgQj6pG0e9NFA&m=mdKFD_9AmL67wJqB-IdecfWS_O8400Sx5g9jk1DGtkQ&s=ICIQhPm9siqYkyiuQc8QIRPl1_Nj_fGuUpzPo6zlrPA&e=>