Hi All,

Please consider submitting an abstract to our session on Virtual Fieldwork.
Details are below and in the attached flyer (with pretty pictures!)

Cheers,

Don

*T187. The Evolution and Diversity of Virtual Fieldwork Experiences*
Don Haas, Wendy L. Taylor, Frank Granshaw

*Sponsors*: National Association of Geoscience Teachers; GSA Geoscience
Education Division

*Brief description:* Changing technologies are making capturing and sharing
aspects of field experiences easier and richer. How has virtual fieldwork
changed and diversified over time? Do we know what students are learning
from using and making Virtual Fieldwork Experiences?
Geoscience Education | Geoscience Information/Communication
Submit Abstract to this Session:
https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2019AM/top/papers/index.cgi…

<https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2019AM/top/papers/index.cgi?sessionid=47824&fbclid=IwAR0_1ikgfwNFMZ1Z_34scqu1Er7t0CKRztdzif3DiTResMq2B0zw2tRYTAU>

*Rationale:*

Rapidly changing technological and pedagogical approaches allow us to
explore places we cannot physically go, and to virtually bring along our
students as virtual co-investigators into the field when it is not
practical to bring them along physically.

Multimedia makes it possible for users to visit and explore places they
cannot visit and explore. The concept is not new - as long as we have been
telling stories, we have used words and pictures to take people to distant
places in their minds.

VR helps us to do this in a new way that is compelling for the following
reasons:

   -

   Virtual reality is becoming an increasingly popular media amongst many
   of our students - This presents a number of opportunities for how we
   present our science to our students.
   -

   There has been a rapid expansion in the past decade in the number of
   virtual reality tools for geoscience education.
   -

   The technology for producing virtual reality environments is now widely
   available, inexpensive, accessible, and “user-friendly” - This makes it
   possible for students to add VFE creation to their fieldwork toolkit.
   -

   Increasingly virtual reality is being used in industry and research to
   document environmental restoration, construction, and field work - As a
   community of geoscience educators we need to be familiarizing our students
   with tools and practices that they might be using in future professions.

The scope and differing natures of VFEs is broad as are the ways in which
they can be used in learning about different environments. The session
organizers will strive to include a range of technological and pedagogical
approaches to virtual fieldwork, how they have changed over time, and  the
development of a taxonomy for VFE classification.

The session convenors have all been working with Virtual Fieldwork for over
a decade.

* And remember the submission deadline is early this year - June 25th - due
to the early date of the meeting.*

--

<https://priweb.org/tfgcc> <http://bit.ly/DonsGiveGab>
Don Haas, Ph.D.

1259 Trumansburg Road • Ithaca, NY 14850 •
museumoftheearth.org

*cell: (315) 790-8569*

*My job is to help Earth & environmental educators kick butt at their jobs.
Here are some links related to how my colleagues and I are doing that:*

   - *Teacher-Friendly Guides to Earth Science of the United States
   <http://geology.teacherfriendlyguide.org/> - *a set of seven regional
   guides that collectively cover the entire US
   - On virtual fieldwork in the Critical Zone
   <http://virtualfieldwork.org/CZO-VFE-Intro.html>
   - The Science Beneath the Surface: A Very Short Guide to the Marcellus
   Shale <https://priweb.org/marcellusbook> and
   <https://priweb.org/marcellusbook>an associated presentation
   - On connecting the field to the classroom
   <http://bit.ly/SkypeNiagaraRising>
   - A seven-minute video on our national outreach
   <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkGbDiQznPU>
   - Explore the Critical Zone <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gW-Vy7zFdU>
   (6 and a half-minute video)