Nomination Deadline: May 31, 2019
The Strategic Management Society and Wiley are seeking nominations for a Co-Editor position at the Global Strategy Journal (GSJ). GSJ,
founded in 2011, is the leading journal on global strategic management research. It aims to shape the direction of conversations on the interaction between the global context and the strategy and strategic management of for-profit and not-for-profit organizations.
The global strategic management domain encompasses the strategic management, organization, and success of multinational organizations; the bidirectional interaction of the global business environment and organizational strategies; comparative strategies in
different national settings; and the comparative effect of regional and national contexts on the strategies of domestic and multinational organizations.
This Call for Nominations reflects the end of the term of Co-Editor Torben Pedersen. The new Co-Editor of GSJ will be appointed for a renewable three-year term and will assume duties in January 2020. Co-Editors Alvaro
Cuervo-Cazurra and Ram Mudambi are up for reappointment to a second term.
Each nominee should have the following qualifications:
- Scholarly strength: Recognized worldwide as a strong scholar in international strategic management.
- Editorial experience: Has served or is serving as an Associate Editor. Special Issue Editor, or Editor of one of the three Strategic Management Society journals (SMJ, SEJ,
or GSJ) or has equivalent experience as a decision editor in other leading journals.
- Open-minded and constructive attitude: History of open-mindedness regarding topics and methodologies for international strategic management research and constructiveness in
helping people develop different types of research opportunities.
- Strong work ethic: History of a strong work ethic in editorial activities, including both timeliness and ability to handle a steady stream of papers.
- Collaborative leadership experience: Ability to work effectively as a leader in an extended team. As GSJ Co-Editor, the relevant team
will include the GSJ Editors (Co-Editors and Associate Editors), GSJ Editorial Review Board members and ad hoc reviewers, Co-Editors of other SMS journals, SMS staff and board
members, Wiley staff, and an evolving set of other global contributors.
- Passion: Clear commitment to helping the journal and the discipline move forward, both operationally and strategically, and an entrepreneurial spirit to grow a journal still
in its early stages.
- Visionary and proactive leadership skills: Co-Editors must take an active part in developing the strategic direction of the journal. A Co-Editor must also stay current on the
latest guidelines, recommendations, and evidence about peer review and journal management. The journal, as an instrument of the major scholarly organization in the strategy field, must both reflect and guide the discipline. Therefore, the Co-Editor must be
actively involved with decisions on journal processes, staffing, planning, and promotion and will coordinate with other SMS journals on a regular basis.
Nominations, including self-nominations, will be accepted until May 31, 2019. Nominations should include (in PDF format):
- A statement of interest from the nominee for both self-nominations and nominations by third parties, indicating the nominee$B!G(Bs name, full address, email, and telephone number.
- A letter of up to 800 words summarizing the nominee$B!G(Bs qualifications relative to the criteria above.
- Third-party letters of support or recommendation. (Maximum of three letters.)
- A current curriculum vitae.
- If available, relevant statistics (number of papers handled, distribution of decisions, evaluations) from previous editorial experiences.
The GSJ Co-Editor search committee of the SMS will review nominations, select, and recommend the appointment of the Co-Editor(s) to the SMS Board and Wiley no later than September 2019. Members of the search committee
include members of the SMS Board and Co-Editors of the SMS journals.
Please email nomination(s) to the GSJ Editorial Office to the attention of GSJ Managing Editor Lisa Hein at [log in to unmask].