Dear Colleagues,

Most of us are familiar with current debates regarding transparency and
replicability of research in IB and many other fields (e.g., management,
psychology, economics). However, this debate has focused mostly on
quantitative research only. I wanted to share the following *open-access*
article to appear in SMJ addressing transparency and replicability
specifically in qualitative research. I hope you will find it interesting
(and will possibly find it provocative as well):

   - Aguinis, H., & Solarino, A. M. 2019. Transparency and replicability in
   qualitative research: The case of interviews with elite informants.
*Strategic
   Management Journal.* https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.3015

The article is available at http://www.hermanaguinis.com/pubs.html and the
abstract is below. Feel free to forward this message to others you think
may be interested in this topic. We paid the publisher to make the article
open access.

Again, I hope you will find it interesting and I look forward to receiving
any reactions you may have.

All the best,

--Herman.

*Herman Aguinis, Ph.D.*

Vice President-Elect, *Academy of Management*

Avram Tucker Distinguished Scholar and Professor of Management

The George Washington University School of Business

2201 G Street, NW

Washington, DC 20052

*http://hermanaguinis.com/ <http://hermanaguinis.com/> *

*Research Summary*

We used interviews with elite informants as a case study to illustrate the
need to expand the discussion of transparency and replicability to
qualitative methodology. An analysis of 52 articles published in Strategic
Management Journal revealed that none of them were sufficiently transparent
to allow for exact replication, empirical replication, or conceptual
replication. We offer 12 transparency criteria, and behaviorally-anchored
ratings scales to measure them, that can be used by authors as they plan
and conduct qualitative research as well as by journal reviewers and
editors when they evaluate the transparency of submitted manuscripts. We
hope our article will serve as a catalyst for improving the degree of
transparency and replicability of future qualitative research.

*Managerial Summary *

If organizations implement practices based on published research, will they
produce results consistent with those reported in the articles? To answer
this question, it is critical that published articles be transparent in
terms of what has been done, why, and how. We investigated 52 articles
published in Strategic Management Journal that reported interviewing elite
informants (e.g., members of the top management team) and found that none
of the articles were sufficiently transparent. These results lead to thorny
questions about the trustworthiness of published research, but also
important opportunities for future improvements about research transparency
and replicability. We offer recommendations on 12 transparency criteria,
and how to measure them, that can be used to evaluate past as well as
future research using qualitative methods.

*Herman Aguinis, Ph.D.*

Vice President-Elect, *Academy of Management*

Avram Tucker Distinguished Scholar and Professor of Management

The George Washington University School of Business

2201 G Street, NW

Washington, DC 20052

*http://hermanaguinis.com/ <http://hermanaguinis.com/> *

For assistance:  [log in to unmask]