From: Ernesto Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: 2019 Summer Agroecology Graduate Course and Agroecology Graduate Certificate at University of Vermont
Date: April 5, 2019 at 1:34:29 PM EDT
To: "Agroecology Community Group ([log in to unmask])" <[log in to unmask]>

The University of Vermont’s (UVM) Agroecology & Livelihoods Collaborative (ALC) is excited to announce the second delivery of our graduate summer courses PSS 311: Introduction to Agroecology.  This is the first required course for the Certificate of Graduate Study in Agroecology (CGSA), but can also be taken as a stand-alone course for credit or as a non-credit training option. The course is a hybrid, with 3 weeks online, and 1 week face to face, at the UVM campus in Burlington, VT. I want to acknowledge that the biggest disadvantage of this offering is its cost. Therefore, we are actively working on securing scholarships to provide opportunities for those with limited resources. See below for more information and please share widely!

COURSE DAYS & TIMES:

May 20 – June 15, 2019.
May 20 – June 9, 2019 will be ONLINE.
June 10 - 15, 2015 will be face to face at the UVM campus and local farms, Monday through Saturday, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.

COURSE DESCRIPTION:

This hybrid, graduate level, 4-week course presents an in-depth overview of research and applications in the field of agroecology. The first three weeks of the course are online, and the last week students meet face to face at the University of Vermont. The course seeks to provide students with both conceptual and practical content, covering the evolution of the field of agroecology, from its origins to the present, as it gains increasing recognition in scientific, policy, social movement and farming spaces. Students will engage in some of the debates agroecologists are now facing, as they grapple with maintaining the core characteristics of the field as it is increasingly applied by a wide diversity of actors. A special emphasis is placed on discussing the different expressions of agroecology as a science, a social movement and a practice. We will consider the intersections of agroecology and transdisciplinarity, as we integrate different knowledge systems to search for solutions to the current challenges of our agrifood systems. And finally, we will explore the use of participatory action research (PAR) and agroecology principles, as an essential approach to agroecological research and practice. We will cover international and domestic geographic perspectives, and examine, more in- depth, agroecology and PAR with 3-4 local Vermont farms.

For more information on the CGSA, registration, costs, etc. follow this link: https://learn.uvm.edu/program/certificate-of-graduate-study-in-agroecology

REGISTER TODAY!

IF YOU CANNOT FIND THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION, PLEASE EMAIL US: [log in to unmask]

Thanks and Best,

Ernesto and The Agroecology & Livelihoods Collaborative Team

V. Ernesto Méndez, Ph.D.
Professor of Agroecology & Environmental Studies
Agroecology and Livelihoods Collaborative (ALC)
Plant & Soil Science Department/Environmental Program
University of Vermont
117 Jeffords Hall, 63 Carrigan Dr., Burlington VT 05405
Tel: (802) 656-2924; Fax: (802) 656-4656; Skype: vemendezg
http://www.uvm.edu/agroecology/