March 20, 2019

EIBA 2019 Leeds (graphic link)

EIBA 2019 | Leeds, UK | December 13-15, 2019

“What Now? International Business in a Confused World Order”

Invitation & Call for Papers

Call for Papers & Panel Proposals – Deadline: July 15, 2019
Call for Poster Session Proposals – Deadline: September 2, 2019

Introduction & Background

The world has seen a radical set of social and structural shifts in the last three years, predicted by few policy makers, academics, or social commentators. The Brexit vote in the UK; the revocation of the Trans-Pacific Partnership and the renegotiation of NAFTA in the US; massive migration and social dislocation in Asia, Europe, Africa, and the Middle East; and the rise of more populist and strictly politically-controlled governments across the globe have put pause to any belief that: (a) globalization is viewed as uniformly positive by the bulk of the world’s population, (b) the economic and social benefits of globalization are likely to win out over other political or societal issues, and (c) we can study international business without accounting for the global socio-political issues that involve a deeper understanding of topics that fall outside the normal realm of historic international business research.

The 2019 EIBA conference will be an opportunity to look at broadening the impact and footprint of international business through integration with research in other social sciences, to investigate the lessons to be learned from the current turbulent environment. The fact that the conference will be in the UK just before the country’s technical exit from the EU presents a unique opportunity to hold this discussion in an environment currently living through one version of that turbulence.

The conference theme will be operationalized via a collection of tracks that cover traditional topics in international business and a parallel set of specialized tracks that relate to how we can integrate new ideas from the social sciences, policy, and business. In line with this view, we particularly encourage interdisciplinary panel submissions that involve scholars outside of our traditional fields, and panels and submissions that bring in policy makers, business leaders, and those focused on social activism or the integration of non-market stakeholders. We are looking not only for new perspectives on studying old problems, but also for new and existing perspectives on issues and phenomena arising from the turbulent environment of the past several years.

Conference Tracks & Track Chairs

We invite competitive and interactive papers, posters, and panel proposals, on any of the EIBA 2019 conference tracks listed below. Competitive papers are close to a publishable state whereas interactive papers and posters may be at earlier stages of development.

  1. Learning from History: Economic, Social & Political Lessons
    Manuel Hensmans & Elizabeth Maitland

  2. International Finance, Accounting & Governance
    Konstantinos Bozos & Collins Ntim

  3. Emerging Markets & Regional Perspectives
    Santiago Mingo & Rajesh S Upadhyayula

  4. Global Marketing
    Jorge Carneiro & Kevin Ibeh

  5. Global Strategy
    Ilya Cuypers& Mario Kafouros

  6. People & Culture
    Helene Tenzer & Riki Takeuchi

  7. Global & Local Economics & Institutions
    Aldo Musacchio & Evis Sinani

  8. The Global Service Firm
    Armando Borda & Hussain Rammal

  9. Entrepreneurship & Family Firms
    Xufei Ma & Siri Terjesen

  10. Geographic & Socio Political Dimensions of Globalization
    Kwame Asamoah & Florian Täube

  11. The Global Value Chain
    Holger Görg & Jean-Paul Roy

  12. Knowledge, Technology & Innovation
    Paulina Junni & Sorin Krammer

  13. Innovations in Teaching International Business
    Tamar Almor & Peter Zettinig

  14. MNE Structure, Process and Operations
    Marcus Møller Larsen & Andreas Schotter

For detailed descriptions of the tracks & track chairs, please see the EIBA 2018 Leeds conference website: eiba2019.eiba.org/tracks/

Call for Competitive & Interactive Papers

All papers received by the submission deadline (which meet the eligibility requirements) will be evaluated in a double-blind review process. The final accepted papers that are presented in the competitive and interactive sessions will be published online in the EIBA 2019 Leeds proceedings. Detailed guidelines for the preparation and submission of papers are available at the link: eiba2019.eiba.org/submissions/conference-paper-guidelines/
The submission deadline for competitive and interactive papers is: July 15, 2019

Call for Panel Proposals

Panel proposals for EIBA 2019 Leeds should be on provocative issues within all areas of interest to IB scholars but with particular emphasis on the theme of the conference. Detailed guidelines for the preparation and submission of panels are available at the link: eiba2019.eiba.org/submissions/%EF%BB%BFconference-panel-guidelines/
The submission deadline for competitive and interactive papers is: July 15, 2019

Call for Posters

EIBA 2019 Leeds also welcomes poster submissions to any of its conference tracks; those accepted will be presented in dedicated Poster Sessions to which experienced academic peers will be invited to review the posters and provide quality feedback to the authors. Detailed guidelines for the preparation and submission of posters are available at the link: eiba2019.eiba.org/submissions/conference-poster-guidelines/
The submission deadline for posters is: September 2, 2019

Call for Reviewers

The quality of academic meetings depends critically on the invaluable input of reviewers. The more reviewers we have, the quicker is our ability to have an expedited system that does not burden you as a reviewer and ensures that you also receive high quality feedback as an author. We invite volunteers to register as reviewers for EIBA 2019 Leeds, particularly if you are submitting your own work to the conference. Reviewers can expect to be sent two to three manuscripts to review soon after the 15 July 2019 submission deadline. We expect all reviews to be completed and returned by 19 August 2019. You can register as a reviewer via ConfTool at: www.conftool.org/eiba2019/. One excellent EIBA 2019 reviewer will be presented with the EIBA Best Reviewer Award!

Awards

As featured each year, we expect a number of awards and prizes to be presented for best papers and outstanding contributions to the EIBA Annual Conference as well as to the IB community. The following awards (among others) are currently planned (or confirmed *) for being awarded at the EIBA 2019 Leeds Conference:

Doctoral Activities at EIBA 2019

The EIBA doctoral events are aimed at providing an opportunity for doctoral students to discuss their research plans and works-in-progress, as well as gaining networking and career guidance experience. Two doctoral events will be conducted on 13 December 2019:

Participation at the two doctorial activities is limited. More information on how to participate in the events will be available on the EIBA 2019 Conference website and via the EIBA Secretariat. There will also be a set of special social activities for doctoral students.
The submission deadline for both doctoral events is: September 2, 2019

Other Activities at EIBA 2019

In addition to the regular conference program, the Leeds team are planning a series of pre- and post-conference events. Each will have a separate registration process – be sure to check the EIBA 2019 Conference website for the latest information.

Pre-conference Events:

  • 5th EIBA Early Career Network Workshop
  • IBR Paper Development Workshop (IBR-PDW)
  • JIBS Paper Development Workshop (JIBS-PDW)
  • JIBP Paper Development Workshop (JIBP-PDW)
  • Social & Cultural Events

Post-conference events:

  • Qualitative Methods Workshop
  • Structural Equations Modeling Workshop
  • Pedagogy Workshop
  • Historical Methods Workshop
  • Social & Cultural Events

The submission deadline for the PDWs is: September 2, 2019

The deadlines for the other events as well as the social and cultural activities will vary and will be posted on the EIBA 2019 Leeds conference website as they become available.

Key Dates

  • 1st April 2019 – Submission system opens
  • 15th July 2019 – Submission deadline for papers and panel proposals
  • 1st September 2019 – Registration opens
  • 2nd September 2019 – Submission deadline for posters, doctoral events, PDWs
  • 16th September 2019 – Decision notifications
  • 15th October 2019 – Early-bird registration deadline
  • 13th-15th December 2019 – EIBA 2019 Leeds conference!!!!!!

Inquiries & Information

Please email us ([log in to unmask]) with any questions, and visit the EIBA 2019 Leeds Conference website (eiba2019.eiba.org/) for news and updates. We also encourage you to follow us on social media to find updated information on registration, accommodation, and events (eiba2019.eiba.org/contact/).

We look forward to welcoming you to EIBA 2019 in Leeds!

The EIBA 2019 Leeds Conference Team (https://eiba2019.eiba.org/conference-team/)

Timothy M. Devinney

University Leadership Chair and Professor of International Business

Leeds University Business School

Maurice Keyworth Building

University of Leeds | Leeds | LS2 9JT | UK

UK (Mob): +44 (77) 9302 3516 (My Main Number)

Other Numbers:

Australia (Mob): +61 412 276 467

USA (Mob): +1 (847) 207 3202

Germany (Mob): +49 (151) 5316 7974

Email: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]

Web 1 (Academic, General): http://leeds.academia.edu/TimothyDevinney

Web 2 (SSRN, Papers): http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=283089

Web 3 (Academic, LUBS): http://business.leeds.ac.uk/about-us/faculty-staff/member/profile/timothy-devinney/

Flickr (my arty side): http://www.flickr.com/photos/tdevinney/