FRIDAY, February 8, 2019
Science at the Edge Seminar, 11:30 a.m., 1400 BPS Bldg.
Speaker: Harald Ade, North Carolina State University
Refreshments at 11:15 a.m

How much? How do we know? - Solar energy conversion technology and global warming in a postmodern world

Abstract
Organic solar cells continue to be a promising low-cost, light-weight, conformable, and lead-free energy-conversion technology with current research efficiencies reaching > 15% in single and 17.6% in tandem cells. These devices require use of a complex donor-acceptor blend in order to split the tightly bound excitons created when a photon is absorbed. Of critical importance is understanding the composition of the mixed amorphous donor-rich phase (how much?), which is governed by the thermodynamic molecular interactions of the donor and acceptor molecules and the kinetics of the casting process (how do we know?). I will highlight the significance of molecular interactions and vitrification in understanding the important aspects of morphology, performance, and stability of organic solar cells. This rather technical discussion will be embedded into the larger epidemiological context of science (The Relativity of Wrong) in a postmodern world and the politics and science of global warming. The audience will be challenged if they know the rudimentary science of global warming or "just believe". We will discuss the ice-core arguments, warming feedback loops, hockey-stick controversy, and the incredible waste in some scientific fields to assess "postmodern-reflexes" and various fallacies (Texas-shooter syndrome). It will be asserted that universities and academics bear a major responsibility in having created postmodernism (world of absolutes, socially constructed truths), have insufficiently resisted its advance (accept "emoting" over "thinking"), and that it is time for a renaissance of Reason and Objectivity. Rethinking our positions might include the physics of wave-particle duality, special relativity, Kuhn's Paradigm changes, scientific reproducibility, and impact factors. The complexity and vastness of the topic will not allow to delineate definitive arguments, rather, it is hoped that the vignettes presented will spark a self-examination of academics, a much needed discussion, and a reassertion of the Scientific Method. Our voices need to be heard more, but also need to be sharpened and more honest.

Lerena R. Heintzelman
Department of Physics & Astronomy
Michigan State University
567 Wilson Rd. Room 3261