Dear Colleagues,

Apologies for the cross-posting!

We are current accepting applications for our Summer 2019 programs. Would you be willing to send this information to any interested faculty or student?

Students from all disciplines and universities are invited to apply to Gustolab
International's summer programs in Japan and Vietnam.

CRITICAL STUDIES ON FOOD SYSTEMS AND SUSTAINABILITY IN JAPAN - SUMMER 2019
This program is based in Osaka “the food capital of Japan”. Osaka, one of the worlds’ major urban centers, becomes a laboratory for exploring the food cultures and systems of contemporary Japan and their increasing role in markets, restaurants and cuisines across the world. Japanese cuisine, or Washoku, offers invaluable opportunities to
think about the intersection of the modern and traditional, local and global, rural and
urban, nature and society, taste and waste, our future and sustainability.
Students engage in transdisciplinary and multisensual learning experiences. Lectures
are augmented through training in culinary techniques -- intensive cooking sessions --
as well as field studies in wholesale markets, a soy sauce distillery, sake brewery, and
a small-scale farming village as well as historical temples in Nara and Kyoto. Lectures
also present information on Japan’s role in global conversations regarding the UN’s
Sustainable Development Goals and in fighting global warming.
The program is designed, promoted, and managed by Gustolab International: Food
Systems and Sustainability and is hosted by Osaka Shoin Women’s University, one of
the first liberal arts women’s colleges established in Osaka and now running the
nation’s first food studies program since 2015.
DURATION: 4-week Full Immersion Program (with homestays)
WHEN:  May 26 – June 23, 2019
WHERE:  Osaka, Japan

COURSES OFFERED

CRITICAL STUDIES ON FOOD SYSTEMS AND SUSTAINABILITY IN VIETNAM PROGRAM - SUMMER 2019
Vietnam is an extraordinary country, filled with a remarkable history and culture, and a
visual feast for the eyes. This program makes extensive use of the whole country as a
site. Students will encounter and visit more of the country and its features than most
travelers, and certainly more than most Vietnamese. We will study at museums, historic
and religious sites, markets, restaurants, and farms as part of regular site visits.
Students will learn sufficient Vietnamese to travel independently and to converse on
food related topics. We will interview experts in the Vietnamese food industry, from
growers to chefs, as well as experts on the crisis of rice production, food security, and
food quality. All site visits are in support of the courses and includes encouragement to
practice Vietnamese conversation. The program is designed, promoted and managed
by Gustolab International: Food Systems and Sustainability.
DURATION: 4-week Full Immersion Program
WHEN:  June 30 - July 27, 2019
WHERE:  Multiple locations in Vietnam, including Sapa and Mai Chau in the north,
Danang, Hoi An, and Hue in central Vietnam and Ho Chi Minh City in the south.

COURSES OFFERED
• Food Systems in Vietnam (3 credits)
• Vietnam, Conflict, Contradiction and Change (3 credits)
• Vietnamese Language for Food and Business (3 credits)
Read more about the programs and courses at: www.gustolab.com

Our programs, based in current research in Food Systems and Sustainability, provide
experiential learning opportunities and access to local peoples and professionals,
including chefs.

For more information or to request an application, please write to

Thank you,
Salem

GLI Gustolab International

SALEM PAULOS
MediaOutreach and Projects coordinator

7, Piazza dell'Orologio
Rome, Italy 00186
Office phone +39 06 83087975 / +39 06 68804073
Fax +39 06 92912046
www.gustolab.com
facebook twitter instagram linkedin youtube

Join our mailing list!