Science at the Edge

Friday November 2nd,2018

1400 Biomedical Physical Science

11:30 am (Refreshments 11:15)

Yuping Huang Stevens Institute of Technology in NJ.

Title: Quantum Zeno Blockade on Chip

Abstract: Quantum mechanics has entertained a multitude of counterintuitive phenomena and exotic technologies in the fields of metrology, computing, communications, sensing, etc. Among them, quantum Zeno effect mysteriously occurs when a quantum system is frequently probed, with the result that its coherent evolution is significantly slowed down. As one of its applications in all-optical systems, quantum Zeno blockade offers a distinct approach to optical signal manipulations and logic operations in an interesting “interaction-free” implementation, whose distinct features help circumvent a couple of fundamental difficulties in those applications. In this talk, I will first present our previous experimental efforts in this area that used nonlinear waveguides and optical cavities, both in bulk-optics settings. Then, I will discuss our recent observation of quantum Zeno blockade in a chip-integrable platform, and project the next steps toward all-optical information processing on a single photon level.

Bio: Dr. Yuping Huang is an Assistant Professor of Physics at Stevens Institute of Technology, where he heads the Laboratory for Quantum Enhanced Systems and Technology, and is the founding Director of Center for Quantum Science and Engineering. He received a Bachelor’s degree in Physics from the University of Science and Technology of China, and a PhD degree from Michigan State University. His research focuses have been on quantum nonlinear optics and its nascent applications in quantum information science, including quantum communications, computing, remote sensing, and measurement.

Lerena R. Heintzelman

Department of Physics & Astronomy

Michigan State University

567 Wilson Rd. Room 3261