I am seeking a motivated PhD student to start in the summer of 2019 (course work to start in Fall of 2019) in the AgroEcoLab at the University of Maryland (Dept. of Plant Science and Landscape Architecture). Research will focus on the effects of saltwater intrusion on nutrient release and plant productivity on coastal farmlands, but the student will be part of a multi-disciplinary and multi-institutional team examining the best solutions for farmers affected by coastal sea-level rise and saltwater intrusion on the Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland. Students will have the opportunity to conduct field and laboratory studies, developing their knowledge of biogeochemistry, soil science, plant community ecology, agronomy, and sustainability science. My lab takes a systems approach to evaluating agricultural sustainability and works closely with farmers to determine how best the scientific community can meet the needs of practitioners. Applicants must, therefore, possess integrity, enthusiasm, creativity, and effective communication in a collaborative setting.

The applicant should substantial research in the areas of agroecology, wetland ecology, soil science, environmental science, agronomy, or a related field. Applicants should have at least two years of field and laboratory experience. Preference will be given to those with experience running atomic absorption spectrometers, flow injection colorimeters, ion chromatographs, gas chromatographs, and other wet chemistry analytical instrumentation.

The AgroEcoLab at the University of Maryland is directed by Dr. Kate Tully. Our research examines how to balance food and environmental objectives in a changing world. The specific project will test the effect of saltwater intrusion, the landward movement of sea salts, on crop productivity, water quality, and metrics of soil health. Our objectives are to develop management strategies and policy frameworks that can balance farmer needs and environmental health on coastal farms that are losing land to saltwater intrusion. Learn more about our lab on the web at: www.agroecolab.org

To apply, please send me an email ([log in to unmask]) with your CV, GRE scores, three references, and a brief narrative of your past experience and interest in the program. All applicants must also apply online to the UMD Graduate School and indicate interest in my lab. This position is a fully-funded (competitive graduate stipends, full benefits, and tuition remission) through a 5-year USDA grant.