Mackinaw Area Public Library and the Local Food Alliance are hosting

“Seed Saving Essentials”

presented by Ben Cohen

Thursday, September 6th @ 3:00 p.m.
Mackinaw Area Public Library

528 West Central Ave. Mackinaw City
For more information: 231-436-5451

Mackinaw Area Public Library will host a free “Seed Saving Essentials” program with Ben Cohen. This is a fast paced and energetic presentation that highlights the importance of community seed sharing programs. We will discuss why planting, saving and sharing seeds is essential to the cultivation of sustainable neighborhoods, healthy communities and the preservation of history. We will also be discussing seed saving techniques for some of you favorite garden veggies such as; tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, squash, melons and more! There will be hands on demonstrations and Ben will also be signing copies of his latest book, "From Our Seeds and Their Keepers: a collection of stories".

Ben Cohen is the owner of Small House Farm, located in central Michigan. Small House specializes in cold pressed oils and a number of other unique products for the health conscious, Earth friendly consumer. Ben is a practicing herbalist, heirloom seed activist and founder of MI Seed Library, a community seed sharing network. Over the past few years Ben has helped to establish more than fifty seed library programs across his home state and throughout the Midwest. He is an avid writer whose work has appeared in a number of magazines and other publications. His first book "From Our Seeds & Their Keepers" was published in the summer of 2018 and is available on Amazon and wherever your favorite books are sold.

Partial support for this seed saving program comes through the Local Food Alliance with funds from the USDA Risk Management Agency (RMA). The Local Food Alliance is a partner on USDA Risk Management Agency Grant #RM17RMEPP522CO16 administered by the Crosshatch Center for Art and Ecology, a non-profit organization based in Bellaire that works to build strong communities through efforts that integrate art, farming, ecology and economy.

For details about the program, please visit www.mackinawareapl.michlibrary.org or the Library's Facebook page. For more information contact the Mackinaw Area Public Library and Tanya Procknow, 231-436-5451 or email: [log in to unmask].

Mackinaw Area Public Library is located in Mackinaw City with branches in Pellston and Bliss. Library programs are open to the public and not just library card holders.

--
Larry Dyer
231-881-2784