---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lockwood, Rowan <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 1:17 PM
Subject: Paleonet: PS Short Course on Education-- mark your calendars!
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>

Dear colleagues,

We're excited to announce that the Paleontological Society Short Course for 2018 will focus on undergraduate education! Please help us spread the word by forwarding this announcement to colleagues, post-docs, and students!

Pedagogy and Technology in the Modern Paleontology Classroom
Organized by Phoebe Cohen, Lisa Boush, and Rowan Lockwood
Saturday, November 3rd from 9am-5pm
Indiana Convention Center, Indianapolis, IN
Free, open to all paleontologists and educators
Please register in advance by October 15th by submitting your name and sample syllabus:
https://wmsas.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1ANYpn3N2JPpyOV

Our goal is to get the entire paleontological community excited about education and to help participants brainstorm effective strategies for teaching paleontology and earth history.  We're developing a format that's a little different from the typical PS short course. The program includes a combination of lectures and breakout sessions with a focus on general teaching topics in the morning, and teaching with online databases (including PBDB, Macrostrat, and Neotoma) in the afternoon. Topics to be presented include active learning strategies, flipped classrooms, incorporating research into teaching, kinesthetic learning, how students learn, diversity and inclusion in the classroom, and confronting prior conceptions. Our presenters include paleontologists and educators with a variety of backgrounds and years of experience (see list below).

The workshop will cater to both early career participants (including students and post-docs) and later career participants. Our target audience includes two and four year college faculty who teach (or are interested in teaching) introductory geology, historical geology, and/or paleontology courses.  Sample teaching ideas and activities will be made freely available via the SERC (Science Education Resource Center) website. Short course presentations will be published by Cambridge University Press as an online volume free to all PS members.

We're advertising the format well in advance, and asking participants to commit to attending by pre-registering using the following link and uploading their course syllabus (paleo, dinosaur, historical, intro, or similar) by October 15th:

https://wmsas.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1ANYpn3N2JPpyOV

Those who haven’t yet developed a syllabus are welcome to attend as well but also encouraged to pre-registerPre-registration is not required to attend the short course but highly encouraged.

We hope that you can join us in Indianapolis! And please let us know off-list if you have any questions...

Rowan Lockwood (William and Mary)

Phoebe Cohen (Williams College)

Lisa Boush (University of Connecticut)

List of Topics and Speakers (in alphabetical order)

  • Flipping the Paleontology Classroom: Benefits, Challenges, and Strategies-- Matthew E. Clapham
  • Integrating Macrostrat and RockD into Undergraduate Earth Science Teaching-- Phoebe A. Cohen
  • Education Research as Applied to Paleontology Education: How People Learn and How We Can Teach More Effectively-- Robyn Mieko Dahl
  • Beyond Hands On: Incorporating Kinesthetic Learning in an Undergraduate Paleontology Class-- David W. Goldsmith
  • The Neotoma Paleoecology Database: A Research Outreach Nexus-- Simon James Goring
  • Incorporating Research into Undergraduate Teaching, or a Tale of 23,276 Mulinia-- Patricia H. Kelley
  • Utilizing the Paleobiology Database to Provide Educational Opportunities for Undergraduates-- Rowan Lockwood
  • Integrating Active Learning into Paleontology Classes of All Sizes-- Alison Olcott Marshall
  • Dinosaurs: A Catalyst for Critical Thought-- Darrin Pagnac
  • Equity, Culture, and Place in Teaching Paleontology: Student-Centered Pedagogy for Broadening Participation-- Christy C. Visaggi
  • Confronting Prior Conceptions in Paleontology Courses-- Margaret M. Yacobucci

Rowan Lockwood
Pronouns: she, her, hers
Professor of Geology
The College of William and Mary

Dr. Alison Jolley (AJ)
Science Teaching and Learning Fellow/Lecturer
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences
University of British Columbia - Vancouver, Canada
Traditional, Ancestral and Unceded Musqueam Territory

Office: EOS-S 361
Cell: +1-604-445-7160