Science at the Edge

Friday April 13, 2018

1400 Biomedical Physical Science

11:30 am
Yuafang Guan
Department of Computational Medicine & Bioinformatics at the University of Michigan
Title: Machine learning: from genomics to images
Abstract:
The research in my lab mainly focus on machine learning and its application in three core areas, which are image analysis, clinical informatics and functional genomics & proteomics. We are interested in applying deep learning to medical image analysis to aid disease diagnosis. Our algorithms identify micro-calcification in breast mammographic images and predicting heart disease subtypes with Electrocardiography (ECG) signals. Another branch of research is developing high-accuracy machine learning algorithms that predict diseases progression and clinical outcomes by leveraging genetic and clinical information. Related projects include kidney disease outcome prediction, survival time prediction (GuanRank), Alzheimer's disease prediction, Parkinson's disease prediction, anti-cancer drug synergy prediction, tumor heterogeneity prediction. The third branch aims to benefit the functional genomics and proteomics research filed. Past and on-going projects include the isoform-level analysis of single-cell sequencing data, the prediction of protein expression levels and developing a novel genome alignment tool (Seekmer). We are in active collaboration with nationwide projects including the NEPTUNE project and the MIDAS group in UM.

Lerena R. Heintzelman
Department of Physics & Astronomy
Michigan State University
567 Wilson Rd. Room 3261