Dear colleagues,
We are a group of Discipline-Based Education Research (DBER) scholars who came together with an interest in characterizing instructional practices in STEM courses at the university level. We attended and documented over 2,000 classes taught by more than 500 STEM faculty members across 25 institutions and analyzed them using the Classroom Observation Protocol for Undergraduate STEM (COPUS). We have two outcomes resulting from this project that we think will be of interest to the STEM education community:

1.       We have recently published the results of our research and would like to engage the community in a conversation about the methods, findings, and implications of this study (http://science.sciencemag.org/content/359/6383/1468). We will be hosting a Science AMA ("Ask Me Anything") session on Reddit on Friday April 6th from 1PM to 3PM EST. Please either visit the following site https://www.reddit.com/r/science/ and search for "Teaching practices in university STEM classes" (the search box is located on the right corner above the login box) or go to the following site and click on the Reddit link provided under the citation for our paper (the link will not be live until tomorrow on the Reddit site and this site):  https://sites.google.com/view/marilynestains/publications

Note: you will need to create an account in Reddit in order to participate; it is free to do so.

2.       We have developed an app to assist COPUS users in analyzing COPUS data. Among other things, the app can calculate interrater reliability between multiple coders, provide reports detailing percent of class time spent on each COPUS code, flexible heat maps showing how some or all of the codes are represented throughout a class, and classify observations into one of the COPUS profiles/instructional styles identified in the study above.  To learn about and use the app, please follow this link: www.copusprofiles.org<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.copusprofiles.org&d=DwMFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=ZeHIGPomKFJ66cEDryzGTQ&m=uheBxGbIlgxRVZrD4wgstmFv-19RhwZLje0Ewegu33Y&s=dgm_fqh7fwxKpk9Qy0iBwiyHfKBe3YpmLYTlRk1FDsk&e=> We are happy to talk about it during the Reddit AMA as well.
We are looking forward to rich conversations.
Sincerely,
Marilyne

[http://ucomm.unl.edu/images/email-signature/Nebraska_N_RGB_email_small.png]

Marilyne Stains