Physics Colloquium

Feb.8 2018 4:10

1415 BPS

Harrison Prosper

Florida State

Title: The Automated Physicist
subtitle: Experimental Particle Physics in the Age of AI

Abstract: After a broad brush review of the history of machine learning (ML),
followed by a brief introduction to the state-of-the-art, I discuss the
goals of researchers at the Large Hadron Collider
and how machine learning is being used to help reach those goals.
Inspired by recent breakthroughs in artificial intelligence (AI), such as
Google's AlphaGoZero, I end with speculative ideas about how the
exponentially improving ML/AI technology may, or may not, be helpful in

particle physics research over the next few decades.

Lerena R. Heintzelman

Department of Physics & Astronomy

Michigan State University

567 Wilson Rd. Room 3261