Physics Colloquium
Feb.8 2018 4:10
1415 BPS

Harrison Prosper
Florida State

Title: The Automated Physicist
subtitle: Experimental Particle Physics in the Age of AI

Abstract: After a broad brush review of the history of machine learning (ML),

followed by a brief introduction to the state-of-the-art, I discuss the

goals of researchers at the Large Hadron Collider

and how machine learning is being used to help reach those goals.

Inspired by recent breakthroughs in artificial intelligence (AI), such as

Google's AlphaGoZero, I end with speculative ideas about how the

exponentially improving ML/AI technology may, or may not, be helpful in
particle physics research over the next few decades.

Lerena R. Heintzelman
Department of Physics & Astronomy
Michigan State University
567 Wilson Rd. Room 3261