From: "Prather, Edward E - (eprather)" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Job opportunity with a tight deadline
Date: February 21, 2018 at 10:42:38 AM EST

Hey everyone, I just learned of a great job opportunity that I thought some on the list might be interested in or may know of someone who would be.  NMSU is a great place and the folks at the Teaching Academy are wonderful to work with.

Unfortunately the deadline for applications is very tight.  Please feel free to reach out to the director Tara Gray, Ph.D. 575-646-1013 with any question.

Cheers,
Ed Prather

Associate Director for Teaching & Learning
Teaching Academy
New Mexico State University

New Mexico State University (NMSU) in Las Cruces seeks an associate director for teaching and learning in its teaching center, the Teaching Academy. This is a full-time, 12-month position with a negotiable start date.

Job description

Teaches workshops and longer courses on teaching

 *   Develops and presents one or more new workshops or short courses each year and repeats them from previous years

Consults individually with faculty, staff and graduate assistants on enhancing classroom teaching

 *   Reviews course materials, visits class, administers survey to students, tallies results of surveys, and meets with instructor to give feedback
Coordinates teaching workshops annually that are taught by internal and external presenters

 *   Identifies and recruits presenters

·         Works with each presenter before his/her workshop to develop

o   learning objectives

o   activities that involve participants

o   specific, concrete suggestions for participants to enhance their teaching

·         Writes or revises presentation descriptions

·         Participates in workshops

·         Selects, licenses and moderates discussions of web-based programming (e.g. 20 Minute Mentors)

·         Reviews evaluations to decide which events to schedule again
Leads field trips for NMSU educators to teaching conferences

·         Manages application process and solicits applications

 *   Manages registration, communication and travel
Elevates the status of teaching and learning on campus

 *   Serves on university committees related to teaching
 *   Writes annual Academy newsletter, Class Acts
Presents and publishes on matters involving teaching and learning

 *   Stays current
 *   Presents workshops at conferences
 *   Publishes articles in SoTl journals
Drafts assessments for the Academy

 *   Annual reports
 *   Five-your impact surveys
 *   Five-year program reviews
Supports director in all duties

Skills and Abilities

Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.

Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Ability to develop and present educational programs and/or workshops. Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports. Ability to plan and implement promotional programs.

About the Academy The Teaching Academy was founded in 2003; its predecessor, the Center for Educational Development, was founded in 1980. In 2003, the Center was renamed the Teaching Academy and our founding director was hired. In 2006, the former NSF ADVANCE program was institutionalized in the Teaching Academy, expanding support for leadership, mentoring and diversity.

The Teaching Academy supports NMSU’s strategic plan by working to improve student learning through professional development in teaching, mentoring, and leadership. The Academy helps NMSU educators develop extraordinary teaching lives embedded in exceptional careers. Our goals include supporting teaching and learning, enhancing careers and leadership, and fostering diversity and community. We have two associate directors: one who focuses on classroom teaching and learning and another who focuses on leadership and mentoring; our staff also includes a director and an administrative assistant.

The Teaching Academy is member driven<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__oap.nmsu.edu_teaching_membership-2Din-2Dthe-2Dacademy_&d=DwIGaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=bTpQo6C_bwDiZFSgr8ADeg&m=W8T9pS3gQwpmXQPrfK_g2FPKX3ZqyOwatYvB99SqD1o&s=AfoaXt36QRB-688xvVNTTCKBylkfbOrH88LIzJDpP6I&e=> and donor supported.<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__oap.nmsu.edu_teaching_teaching-2Dacademy-2Ddonors_&d=DwIGaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=bTpQo6C_bwDiZFSgr8ADeg&m=W8T9pS3gQwpmXQPrfK_g2FPKX3ZqyOwatYvB99SqD1o&s=aOMh3zZlSQsQALevtSQmFH6OGvEb465SlOeAgZOFUiA&e=> Each year more than 300 NMSU educators earn an annual membership for 10 or more hours of participation in events. Donors provide approximately 30% of the Teaching Academy’s operating budget. Members and donors are celebrated at the annual Teaching Academy Gala:  Champagne & Chocolate. (The Teaching Academy Director is in charge of fundraising.)

The NMSU Teaching Academy has received national and international recognition<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__teaching.nmsu.edu_teaching-2Dacademy-2Doverview_&d=DwIGaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=bTpQo6C_bwDiZFSgr8ADeg&m=W8T9pS3gQwpmXQPrfK_g2FPKX3ZqyOwatYvB99SqD1o&s=ty655uq5uB-JaU2_7I8l056WjR4Q0uTmPF75gEqS6O4&e=> 13 times since we opened our doors in 2003. For more information, see our website<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.teaching.nmsu.edu_&d=DwIGaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=bTpQo6C_bwDiZFSgr8ADeg&m=W8T9pS3gQwpmXQPrfK_g2FPKX3ZqyOwatYvB99SqD1o&s=My7-_gOyNJQ0uSX_t4SMVhXyc3lEFoQa4vVWMNX4fmY&e=>.
About NMSU
We are a comprehensive research, land-grant, Hispanic-serving university. On our Las Cruces campus (one campus of five), we have more than 15,000 students and a student-faculty ratio of 19:1.  For more information see https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.nmsu.edu_ataglance.html&d=DwIGaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=bTpQo6C_bwDiZFSgr8ADeg&m=W8T9pS3gQwpmXQPrfK_g2FPKX3ZqyOwatYvB99SqD1o&s=Ju-VcEi-QgNtDa4_D6QqgNlxu_ZdtocakezJviKsBLI&e=.

About Las Cruces

Las Cruces, New Mexico is a vibrant city that sits at the feet of the majestic Organ Mountains. With a population of about 100,000, the city is quickly becoming a popular southwestern destination.

Las Cruces, has been ranked by Forbes as one of the best small metro areas for business and careers.  It has also received several awards including rankings from Money magazine as one of the “best college towns to retire” and from AARP as one of their “dream towns.”

In addition, our location brings residents into contact with historic attractions such as Old Mesilla, White Sands national monument, excellent hiking, and 72 holes of spectacular year-round golf. Las Cruces also blends a unique variety of attractions, culture, historical sites and superb year-round weather with 350 days of sunshine per year. Las Cruces also dishes up world-class Mexican cuisine.

Preferred Qualifications
Preferred qualifications include:
·         Master’s degree or Ph.D.
·         Experience in classroom teaching in higher education
·         Experience working in a teaching center, including an outstanding record in:
o   Teaching workshops about classroom teaching
o   Consulting with faculty one-on-one to enhance classroom teaching
o    Helping instructors create educational opportunities that foster success among diverse populations.

To apply, please submit three references in your application as well as:

 *   Letter of interest
 *   CV
 *   Unofficial transcripts

In your letter of interest, please devote one paragraph each to the following subjects in this order.
Your accomplishments in or your vision for:
o             Classroom teaching in higher education
o             Teaching workshops about classroom teaching
o        Consulting with faculty one-on-one to enhance classroom teaching
o    Helping instructors create educational opportunities that foster success among diverse populations

NMSU is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly training faculty and staff.  Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.

Deadline to apply:  Sunday, February 25, 2018
For a complete job description and to apply for position #199501, visit:https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__jobs.nmsu.edu_postings_30532&d=DwIGaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=bTpQo6C_bwDiZFSgr8ADeg&m=W8T9pS3gQwpmXQPrfK_g2FPKX3ZqyOwatYvB99SqD1o&s=A52RcdCpKMJs7aWv_9-tUS7SABgEwcAgHe49vIR5q3I&e=

If you have questions, you are more than welcome to contact Tara Gray, Director and Search Committee Chair, at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or 575-646-1013.
Tara Gray, Ph.D.
Director, Teaching Academy
Associate Professor of Criminal Justice
New Mexico State University