All:

This conference might be of interest to many of you. Note that NSF has funding in Food-Energy-Water Nexus and this is a good opportunity to build community around proposals.

Julie

Forward Message

Internationally, there has been increasing emphasis on the Food-Energy-Water-Nexus (FEW-Nexus), including FEW-Nexus educational efforts and education research.  In response to this need, the Innovating Teaching and Learning in the Food-Energy-Water-Nexus: Toward a National Collaborative for Food, Energy, & Water Systems Education (NC-FEW) conference will be held May 22-23 in Washington, D.C. This 2-day invited conference will draw upon expertise of faculty from around the world leading educational programs (K-12, undergraduate, informal, non-formal) and education research grounded in the FEW-Nexus.  Conference participants will have opportunities to share their work and engage with colleagues from a diverse array of disciplinary backgrounds (education, STEM disciplines, agriculture, natural resources) to articulate and shape discourse around a systemic approach to FEW-Nexus education and education research.  The conference will result in the development of a framework for a National Collaborative for Food, Energy, & Water Education (NC-FEW) and lay the foundations for a transdisciplinary community of FEW-Nexus education scholars.

We anticipate 50 conference participants.  In the upcoming weeks, we will open an online application/registration system for applicants.  As part of the application process, applicants will be asked to a) describe their education research and development work as it aligns to the FEW-Nexus perspective and b) submit an abstract for a presentation at the conference.  Travel support is available for selected conference participants.  We anticipate an application deadline of March 30.

Conference Committee
Cory Forbes, University of Nebraska-Lincoln (Chair)
Hannah H Scherer, Virginia Tech
Hui-Hui Wang, Purdue University
Kelly F. Millenbah, Michigan State University
Nicole Sintov, The Ohio State University
Christine Li, University of Missouri