We are currently inviting prospective applicants for the PhD track in Organizations and Social Change<https://www.umb.edu/academics/cm/business_administration_phd/osc>, part of the PhD program in Business Administration<https://www.umb.edu/academics/cm/business_administration_phd/osc> at the College of Management, University of Massachusetts, Boston. We are seeking outstanding applicants with a broad interest in organizations at the business-society interface. Prospective students with prior degrees in management, sociology, economics, political science or other relevant areas are encouraged to apply. Most successful applicants have a Masterˇ¦s degree. Prior research experience (e.g. data analysis, literature reviews, academic writing) is highly recommended. Support of $25,000 per year is available for up to four years for admitted students who remain in good standing.

The Organizations and Social Change (OSC) track responds to the growing interest in issues at the intersection of business and society. The research interests of our faculty include (but are not limited to):
ˇ´    How current business-society interactions challenge existing management and organization theories
ˇ´    How companies, communities and industries strategize for climate change adaptation and mitigation
ˇ´    New trends in the workplace relating to diversity, inequality, and employee involvement
ˇ´    The causes, characteristics, and consequences of employee ownership for workers, firms, and society
ˇ´    How social movements influence corporate behavior and the diffusion of new corporate practices
ˇ´    Development of labor and sustainability standards, local geographic clusters and global production networks, and local/global governance processes
ˇ´    The dynamics and implications of socio-economic crises, financialization, and inequality
ˇ´    How entrepreneurs and established firms work to address local and global challenges through their missions, business models, products, and strategies
ˇ´    Diversity and inclusion in entrepreneurship ecosystems, and drivers of inclusive economic development and growth
ˇ´    Using organization and network theory to understand the emergence, operation, evolution and sustainability of creative geographic clusters and project networks

The interdisciplinary OSC track is distinctive among PhD programs in business schools, in our explicit commitment to diverse perspectives, theories, and methodologies. UMass Boston is guided by a mission of social justice and community involvement, and is an extraordinary place to learn about the relevance of business and organizations in addressing societal issues.

The College of Management at UMass Boston is dedicated to supporting studentsˇ¦ efforts to understand and analyze organizations and social change in their complexity and embeddedness in real world issues. We offer a unique blend of academic rigor and practical relevance, drawing from a variety of disciplines and perspectives, such as organization studies, entrepreneurship, strategy, organizational behavior, political economy, sociology, feminism, and globalization.

Our current and former students are very active in developing, presenting, and publishing papers around business-society issues ˇV and several have won awards. For a sense of engagement by students and faculty, please see our website and OSC blog<https://organizationsandsocialchange.wordpress.com/> for profiles and posts by faculty and students.  In addition, the College of Management hosts several centers that engage students and faculty with events and research projects. They include the Center for Sustainable Enterprise and Regional Competitiveness<https://www.umb.edu/serc>, the Center for Collaborative Leadership<https://www.umb.edu/leaders>, and the Entrepreneurship Center. We are also a founding member of UMass Bostonˇ¦s Sustainable Solutions Lab<https://www.umb.edu/ssl>.

Please spread the word about our PhD program.

The application deadline is February 28, 2018.

More information about the program can be found at https://www.umb.edu/phdcmosc, including specific information on application requirements: https://www.umb.edu/academics/cm/business_administration_phd/admissions.

Stephan Manning
Associate Professor of Management
University of Massachusetts Boston
College of Management