Greetings and hope you are enjoying the fall. We hope you can attend this upcoming workshop to help you tune up or dive into season extension. Apolgies for any cross postings.

Monday, November 6th 9 – 5pm
Smarter Season Extension: Improving your Shoulder-season & Root crop production

Cost: $150 ($40 for 2nd person from same farm)
Scholarships (See button below)
Location:MSU Student Organic Farm, 3291 College Rd.Holt, MI 48842

Presenters: Tomm Becker, Sun Seed Farm & Denae Friedheim, MSU Student Organic Farm

Join us for this workshop looking at two key aspects of season extension: Shoulder Season Production (Oct – Dec & Feb – April) and Root Crops.

In both areas we will look at important practices & schedules for success, necessary production & storage infrastructure, proven crop types and varieties, post-harvest/storage management, and other critical elements to moving beyond summer production.

Hosted at MSU Student Organic Farm which has experimented and fine-tuned their season extension production since 2002. Co-presented by Sun Seed Farm, which has been growing in the shoulder season and producing lots of root crops since 2009.

Lunch and snacks provided.

REMAINING 2017 WORKSHOPS

FARMER FIELD SCHOOL

Tuesday, November 14th 11:30am - 2 pm
Roundtable Discussion: Work-Life Balance for Farmers
Cost: FREE (Lunch provided)

Together, farmers and others will share in discussion of successful (and unsuccessful) practices and approaches to finding balance between the work of farming and life off the farm or at least off the clock. How do passion, values, ideals, goals and financial security for the farm mesh with those of family and loved ones, and our own personal limits? A look at how and why we make the decisions we do and what we can learn from eachother and understand about the farm and family life we choose.
Tuesday, November 14th, 2 pm-4pm
Farmer Field School Gathering
Cost: FREE

Farmer Field School Gathering, is for workshop attendees and other new farmers to get to know more about each other, but also help us brainstorm provide feedback about Farmer Field School. This includes: feedback on workshops, input on workshop structure, pricing, timing & content, explore how to support dialogue & learning between workshops and among each other, and other topics around workshops as they emerge.
2017 WORKSHOP SURVEY
Help us identify the workshops you would most like to attend by following this link and filing out this short (2 min.) survey
For Farmer Field School Workshop Information, Questions & Help:

Or contact - Tom Cary - Farmer Field School Program Manager [log in to unmask] 616-916-9823

NON-FARMER FIELD SCHOOL LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
More farmer education opportunities at:

This material is based upon work that is supported by the National Institute of Food and Agriculture, U.S. Department of Agriculture, under award number 2015-70017-22856.
Copyright © 2016 MSU Student Organic Farm, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
MSU Student Organic Farm
A288 Plant & Soil Science Bldg.
East Lansing, MI 48824

 Go to the Farmer Field School website http://www.msuorganicfarm.org/farmer-field-school.html for more information

--
Tom Cary
Program Manager, Beginning Farmer Training Program, Student Organic Farm (MSU)