Ran into something kinda weird this week, and wondering if anyone has run into something similar.  A faculty member purchased an LG smart tv that has the various netflix, amazon, etc apps in it.  Needless to say, when first setting the tv up, all of these apps needed to be updated before they'd work.  However, regardless of how I would have the tv connected, the tv would seem to download the app and then get stuck on the installing phase.  I tried various network connections, MSU wireless, a wireless router I put in the room, and wired directly to the wall, no differences.  Spent time with their tech support, where they had me update the firmware on the tv (which the tv wasn't finding when it would try to connect).  (Oh, and the web browser on the tv worked fine, so network access was good).

Faculty member ended up exchanging the tv because we figured it was screwed up somehow.  She had them actually update a couple of the apps before she'd leave the store, so at least knew that the tv was good with those.  So today, I went to set the networking on the tv, and tried updating some of the other apps on the tv to see if the problem was really just the original tv.  Nope, everything I tried would get stuck on installing like before.  But she'd mentioned that the folks at best buy had connected it to their phone hotspot to do the update of the apps.  As a last ditch effort, I tried that, and as soon as it connected to my phone, the app finished installing.  I did some other tests to see if it was just switching between different networks that did it, but the only time I could get the update to finish was when connected to my phone.

Now, one thing I didn't try was giving the tv a static ip address, which I should probably try when one of the apps next needs updating (nothing left to update for me to try it at this point).  But I wouldn't think the dynamic address should really cause a problem, because I don't see it terribly likely that the tv should be relying on an incoming connection for this to finish - way too many of these things would be set up at homes with nat routers, so that just seems unlikely to me.  But the only other thing I can think of is msu is filtering something on the outgoing connection that the smart tv doesn't like.

So, anyone else try one of these and have any luck?