Term: 1 to 3 years
The Soil Health Institute – Research Triangle Park, NC
The Soil Health Institute (SHI), a non-profit organization created to safeguard and enhance the vitality and productivity of soil through scientific research and advancement, located adjacent to Research Triangle Park (RTP) near Raleigh, NC seeks an experienced, professional Soil Scientist/Agronomist with expertise in both fields for a 1-3 year term appointment, per annual performance contracts. The incumbent will serve as a Project Manager, managing SHI’s initiative to identify and develop widely acceptable soil health measurements, standards, and a comprehensive evaluation program that relates soil health evaluation to quantified productivity, economic and environmental outcomes. Duties include:
- engagement with selected long-term agricultural research site leaders in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico to evaluate soil health measurements and their relation to productivity, economic, and environmental outcomes;
- securing a competitively awarded contract with an analytical laboratory for conducting prescribed soil health analyses following established QA/QC criteria;
- oversight of soil sampling and data collection from partnering locations;
- development of critical analysis and review of SHI Tier 1-3 measurements as well as existing soil health evaluation programs;
- oversee the integration of information gained from this project into a definitive, comprehensive soil health evaluation program for the nation; and
- prepare and publish findings for scientific and agricultural producer/field practitioner audiences.
A Ph.D. in Soil Science and/or Agronomy with demonstrated research experience linking both fields, is required. Research-level expertise in soil health, agronomy, agricultural production and resource management practices is required. Residence during the appointment at the Soil Health Institute’s office near RTP is preferred but negotiable. Position will report to SHI’s Chief Scientific Officer. Compensation to be commensurate with experience. To apply, send a letter of application, curriculum vitae, list of publications, and the names/contact information of four references by September 10, 2017 to Mr. Byron Rath: [log in to unmask]. Please include "Project Manager" in the email subject line. Position will remain open until filled.