* Apologies for cross-posting *

SAJHRM is a peer-reviewed scholarly outlet from Sage for publications on HRM in and out of South Asia. It includes countries that are members of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC), namely, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. It is listed in the Australian Business Deans Council (ABDC) Journal rankings.

As a result of an overwhelming response to our call for reviewers, we have now appointed over 43 academics from around the world to our Board of Reviewers. See the list at https://us.sagepub.com/en-us/nam/south-asian-journal-of-human-resources-management/journal202252#editorial-board. Welcome reviewers and we look forward to a long-term, productive association with you.

Table of Contents, Volume 4, Issue 1, June 2017 http://journals.sagepub.com/toc/HRM/current

Research Articles:

Do They Always Have Wounded Selves: Moderating Impact of Job-worth on Burnout and Self-worth of Indian Call Centre Employees

Tuheena MukherjeeKanika T. Bhal

Abstract: Numerous researches in call centres indicate the negative psychological impact in the form of burnout experiences of the customer service representatives. The present study argues that burnout experiences do not always have a negative impact on the employee’s self-worth. The relationship is, instead, moderated by the impact of job-worth, which acts as a potential individual resource. The results of the present study conducted on 312 call centre representatives partially confirm our hypotheses. Results indicate that representatives who have high job-worth maintain their self-worth, even when emotionally exhausted. The results also show that employees possessing high job-worth, even with low personal accomplishments on their jobs, maintain their self-worth. We discuss the findings in the Indian call centre context from the perspective of self and identity literature and provide broader implications for practice and research.

Mentoring Female Global Managers: A Social Comparison Perspective

Michael HarveyMiriam MoellerRuth McPhail

The global business environment is new, complex and not well understood by many of the managers having to “learn by doing.” This “on-the-run” learning experience is particularly difficult for female global managers in the South Asian region who may not have the input or support of others as to how to prepare for relocating overseas. The lack of assistance is further exacerbated by the growing importance of large emerging markets. Given limited history with these key emerging markets, some means of accelerating learning and transferring knowledge to the next generation of (global) managers is a necessity. This article examines one means of addressing the need to learn from others more experienced in global business through mentoring. Social comparison theory is used as the theoretical lens by which to examine the mentoring process for global female managers, a type of managerial talent particularly void of organizational structural support. A means for developing a mentoring programme for global female managers is also developed.

Linking Workplace Bullying and Work Engagement: The Mediating Role of Psychological Contract Violation

Arpana RaiUpasna A Agarwal

While decades of research on workplace bullying has resulted in a sound understanding of its consequences, the effects of workplace bullying on positive employee outcomes and the underlying mechanisms in bullying–outcomes relationships are not well understood. The present study examines the relationship between workplace bullying and work engagement and whether it is mediated by psychological contract violation (PCV). Data were gathered from a sample of 835 full-time managerial employees working in different Indian organizations across manufacturing and service sectors. Results suggest that workplace bullying is significantly related to work engagement and this relationship is partially mediated by PCV. Implications for theory and practice are discussed.

Can Empowerment and Organizational Support for Development Stem Turnover? It Depends on Power Distance

Morgan S. WilsonAnjali Chaudhry

Research on the effects of psychological empowerment and organizational support for development (OSD) on turnover reveals mixed findings. Based on attraction–selection–attrition theory, we developed a model that examines individual-level power distance as a moderator of the relationships between psychological empowerment and turnover and OSD and turnover. Using a sample of 240 employees of a US software development company in India, we found that psychological empowerment was associated with higher turnover for high power distance employees and lower turnover for low power distance employees. Additionally, OSD was associated with higher turnover for high power distance individuals.

Practitioner Perspectives Section:

Interview with Dr Sunil Kumar Singh, Vice President-HR Reliance Industries Ltd, India

Reimara Valk

Contribution of HR Systems in Development of Ethical Climate at Workplace: A Case Study

Jatinder Kumar JhaBiju VarkkeyPraveen AgrawalNarendra Singh

Book Review: Robert Kegan and Lisa Laskow Lahey, An Everyone Culture: Becoming a Deliberately Developmental Organisation

Lalatendu Kesari JenaSajeet Pradhan

--

Dr. Mohan Thite
Associate Professor in HRM

Founding Editor-in-Chief, South Asian Journal of HRM (ABDC ranked Sage publication)

Department of Employment Relations & Human Resources, Griffith Business School

Griffith University
170 Kessels Road, Nathan QLD 4111

Brisbane, Australia
Phone: +61 7 3735 7643; Mobile: +61 405 388 051
Email: [log in to unmask]

Griffith Experts: https://experts.griffith.edu.au/academic/m.thite

ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Mohan_Thite

Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=m_L84pMAAAAJ&hl=en