Isenberg School of Management, University of Massachusetts Amherst

Department of Management

Three Tenure-Track Positions in Strategic Management

The Management Department of the Isenberg School of Management at the University of Massachusetts Amherst invites applications for three (3) tenure-track positions in Strategic Management to start in September of 2018.  While we are primarily focused on hiring at the rank of assistant professor, well qualified associates will also be considered.  In addition, under exceptional circumstances highly qualified candidates at other ranks may receive consideration.

Candidates must hold a Ph.D. in Strategic Management (or a closely related field) from an AACSB accredited program by August 2018.  The ideal candidates for these positions will have active programs of research with a demonstrated ability for high quality scholarly publications.  Preference for the positions will be given to candidates whose research employs knowledge-based theorizing, such as organizational learning, knowledge acquisition and transfer, and/or human capital approaches.  Candidates must have expertise or evident potential in providing quality teaching at both undergraduate and graduate levels.  Potential or demonstrated ability to teach in both face-to-face and distance education formats to MBA students with considerable work experience is highly desirable.  Initial teaching responsibilities will be focused on developing and delivering innovative instruction in strategic management and/or entrepreneurship at the undergraduate level.

The Management Department has a thriving undergraduate program and also contributes to a highly reputed MBA program at the Isenberg School.  In addition, the department offers two high-quality Ph.D. programs in Organization Studies and Strategic Management.  The members of the Management faculty are committed to conducting research that furthers state-of-the-art knowledge in their respective areas of expertise.  This research has appeared in top-ranked journals such as Academy of Management Journal, Academy of Management Review, Strategic Management Journal, Administrative Science Quarterly, Journal of Applied Psychology, Journal of Management, and Journal of Management Studies.  For more information about the department and faculty research, please visit: http://www.isenberg.umass.edu/programs/depts/management.

The Isenberg School of Management is AACSB accredited, with nationally recognized undergraduate and MBA programs.  In addition to our repertoire of core business disciplines such as Accounting, Finance, Management, Marketing, and Operations & Information Management, we offer industry specializations through our Department of Hospitality & Tourism Management, and our Mark H. McCormack Department of Sport Management, which is the #2 ranked program in the world.  Isenberg's undergraduate business program was ranked by Businessweek in 2016 as the 33rd best program in the country, and the 11th best among public universities.  In 2017, U.S. News & World Report ranked Isenberg's Full-time MBA as the 31st  best among public universities (57th overall), and the Part-time MBA (which includes both our evening and online programs) was 10th best among public universities (13th overall).  In the current Financial Times survey of online MBA programs, Isenberg ranked #1 in the U.S. and #3 in the world.  Our national competitiveness has helped us to attract 1,400 students to our Full-time, Blended, and Online MBA programs.  Finally, Ph.D. tracks are offered in each discipline.

The University of Massachusetts Amherst is a public research and land-grant university in Amherst, Massachusetts, and the flagship of the University of Massachusetts system.  With approximately 1,300 full-time instructional faculty members and more than 30,000 students, UMass Amherst is the largest public university in New England.  The university offers bachelor's degrees, master's degrees, and doctoral degrees in 88 undergraduate and 72 graduate areas of study, through eight schools and colleges.  The campus is also a member of the Five College Consortium and collaborates with Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke and Smith Colleges on many initiatives and projects.

To apply, please submit a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of three references, on-line at: http://umass.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=85916

Evaluation of applications will begin September 8th, 2017 and will continue until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.  Rank and salary will be commensurate with qualifications; salary and benefits are competitive.

The university is committed to active recruitment of a diverse faculty and student body.  The University of Massachusetts Amherst is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities and encourages applications from these and other protected group members.  Because broad diversity is essential to an inclusive climate and critical to the University's goals of achieving excellence in all areas, we will holistically assess the many qualifications of each applicant and favorably consider an individual's record working with students and colleagues with broadly diverse perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds in educational, research or other work activities.  We will also favorably consider experience overcoming or helping others overcome barriers to an academic degree and career.

Bruce C. Skaggs, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair, Department of Management
Isenberg School of Management
University of Massachusetts - Amherst
tel. (413)545-5684

For assistance:  [log in to unmask]