Dear colleagues,

I sent an email asking for advice about Sabbatical leaves about a month ago, and a summary last week, but “the gremlins” somehow took it away. I am now resending the summary, as advised by Anne, the new Moderator. The following are excerpts of the email replies (to my original message) that I found most helpful:

I just returned home from XXXX. I was a visiting scholar at XXXXX for AY16-17. We had discussed the possibility of me teaching, but the visa rendered it impossible. In short, I could get a visa to spend the year in HHHHH (along with my family) as long as neither I nor my husband worked in HHHHHH. The alternative visa for HHHHH would have been to have the XXXX provide documentation that supported why I would teach there, etc., etc. etc. Their HR department was not willing to go through these steps, which could take up to 6 months. So, we opted to go and survive on the salary from my US institution. Getting that visa was somewhat onerous, but much easier than the working visa. The year was amazing and well worth the effort.

There were many faculty I encountered who have taken 3 month stints, which you may do without a visa, but, as you mention below, then you can’t return for 3 months.

It is a great way to spend sabbatical and I would do it again in a heart beat.

There are funding schemes to support international mobility that visiting researchers /host institutions may apply for, but these would unfortunately typically require applications long in advance. As for the costs of living, they typically get higher the further north you go, whereas they would be much lower in the Southern and Eastern parts of Europe. Then again, English may not be so widely used at universities in Southern and Eastern Europe as in Northern Europe.

There have been some recent changes in financial reporting -- Dodd-Frank does a good job of discouraging non-US banks from dealing with Americans living and working abroad.

Seriously consider Chile, Colombia or Peru. Reasonable immigration rules  and relatively good market. Also think of non EU European countries such as Norway or the Balkans. Turkey may also interest you. finally if time permits Fulbright.

Actually, several colleagues mentioned the Fulbright program, which seems to be a great option for Americans to go abroad, as well as for non-Americans to come to the US (by the way, I have been following for a couple of years, but my service to the MED division (of the AOM) and other summer occupations have precluded me from pursuing this more actively). The link for US citizens (permanent residence is not enough!) interested in going abroad is http://www.cies.org/; non-Americans must ask their local government representatives. There are only a few days left to apply for 2018-19; it might just work!!

Some countries (e.g., Germany and The Netherlands) seem to have multiple funding schemes; a local partner seems to be a requirement (or at least a major advantage). Applications typically close at least six months in advance, often one year.

Finally, a big THANK YOU! to all who took the time to reply. I really appreciate AIB-Listers’ generous spirit and willingness to help. I apologize if I miss anyone, but I am grateful to Anatoly Zhuplev, Krishna Bandari, Peter Ross, Holli Semetko, Mary Sully De Luque, Rachel Smith, Tanya Bondarouk, Allan Bird, Ainsworth Bailey, Jorge Wise, Elaine Farndale, Dirk Moosmayer, Stephen Salter, Peter McNamara, Vas Taras, Maria-Alejandra Gonzalez-Perez, Sergio Madero, Yusliza Mohd. Yusoff, and Denise Salin. They all emailed me useful information, personal experiences, and/or supportive messages that have helped me in this (still ongoing) process. Once I am back from this experience, I might write a short essay.

With best wishes,

~ Miguel
Miguel R. Olivas-Lujan, Ph.D.   .:.   Professor   .:.   Management & Marketing
Clarion U. of Pennsylvania   .:.   840 Wood St.   .:.   Clarion, PA 16214
Tel: +1.814.393.2641   .:.   Fax: +1.814.393.1910
Academy of Management, MED Division Chair-Elect 2016-17<http://my.aom.org/leadership/toc.aspx?action=DIG&code=MED>
Editor, Advanced Series in Management<http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/books/series.htm?id=1877-6361> -
- newest volumes: Dead Firms (15)<http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/book/10.1108/S1877-6361201615> and New Ways of Working (16)<http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/book/10.1108/S1877-6361201716>.

[cid:[log in to unmask]]