Begin forwarded message:

From: Rachel Atkins <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Geoed Listerv Inquiry
Date: June 5, 2017 at 11:15:57 AM EDT
To: Julie Libarkin <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Dr. Libarkin,

I am co-chairing a session at GSA Seattle 2017 with Shelley Whitmeyer and Christine Clark that I believe will be of interest to the geoed community entitled "Augmented and Virtual Reality in Geoscience Education"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Hello!

As GSA Seattle 2017 approaches, we would like to inform you about a technical session that might be of interest for you and/or your colleagues:

T99. Augmented and Virtual Reality in Geoscience Education

Rachel M. Atkins, Christine M. Clark, Shelley J. Whitmeyer

GSA Geoscience Education Division

National Association of Geoscience Teachers (NAGT)

GSA Geoinformatics Division

This session will focus on teaching and research applications using augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) in geoscience classrooms and informal settings. Handheld and immersive AR and VR experiences make it easier to bring more realistic, engaging experiences into our classrooms. This session will explore teaching and research applications using AR and VR. Click here for more information or to submit to our session. See below for the session rationale.

Please feel free to share this email broadly and contact us (Rachel, Shelley or Christine) with any questions.

Sincerely,

Rachel Atkins ([log in to unmask]),

Christine Clark ([log in to unmask]) and

Shelley Whitmeyer ([log in to unmask])

Rationale:

Many geoscience educators chose their field because of a transformative experience in a natural environment.  However, because of logistical limitations it is often impractical to offer the same experiences to many of our students, especially at the introductory level where our classes have the broadest impact. AR and VR applications offer new possibilities for engaging experiences within the classroom. These technologies range from simple and inexpensive (phone apps, Google Cardboard) to more immersive, high-end systems (tethered VR, AR Sandboxes). However, regardless of how intriguing immersive technological advancements may be, the technology is irrelevant if content is not accurate, engaging and effective at developing students’ understanding. This session will bring together geoscience content experts to determine what aspects of our learning could benefit most from the application of these technologies in our classrooms, and how to accurately assess their impact on student learning. Discussions will be used to summarize what we have learned and exchange ideas for moving forward.

Rachel Atkins
Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
North Carolina State University
Office: Jordan 3140