To: Service List <[log in to unmask]>

From: Joe Requester <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: need help with abc

Response from service person Jane Responder:

To: Joe Requester <[log in to unmask]>

From: Jane Responder <[log in to unmask]>

CC:  Service List <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: Re: need help with abc

2nd message from requester:

To: Service List <[log in to unmask]>

From: Joe Requester <[log in to unmask]>

The key to getting the 2nd message from requester to go to the list instead of Jane Responder is the Reply-To in the Response from the service person.  The reason the Reply-To is so important in terms of email authentication is that the list could be in a different domain (e.g. gmail.com) from the responder (e.g. msu.edu).  It would be a violation of email security to send the response with “From: Service List <[log in to unmask]>” while the message is being sent through outgoing server mail.msu.edu, and my interpretation of modern email standards is that setting From to the service list would be a violation if the message is actually coming from an email client.

There are at least two ways that Thunderbird supports setting the Reply-To and CC fields in one step.  The easiest method seems to me to be identity management where all the identities have the same valid From address, but the Reply-To and CC fields can be customized.

Outlook does not display Reply-To with To and CC fields.  From the perspective of an email administrator that supports numerous service, support and general distribution lists, the fact that Outlook does not display Reply-To with To and CC fields is a serious drawback.

Does anyone know of an add-in that supports setting the Reply-To and CC fields in one step in Outlook?

-Stefan

Stefan Ozminski
Computer Services Manager
W.K. Kellogg Biological Station