Call for Papers: The 10th International Critical Management Conference, July 3rd-5th, 2017, Liverpool, UK
Stream:
Critical Cross-Cultural Management: Time to discuss race, gender, language, sexual orientations, religion and other forms of discrimination in power-laden contexts

Deadline for Submission: January 31st, 2017

Convenors:
Laurence Romani, Stockholm School of Economics, Sweden, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Jasmin Mahadevan, Pforzheim University, Germany, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Henriett Primecz, Corvinus University of Budapest, Hungary, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Terence Jackson, Middlesex University Business School, London, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Culture and cultural differences play a crucial role in (international) management and business, and cross-cultural management (CCM) is the discipline that investigates this impact and the contexts wherein culture and cultural differences become relevant. Our stream evolves around one key element which, to our mind, is prevalent in virtually all CCM contexts, namely: power discrepancies. These power discrepancies might manifest on multiple levels, e.g. discourse, practices, rules and regulations, interpersonal interactions et cetera. They are intertwined with cultural explanations, which means that even though culture is shared, learned and social (thus: not biological), cultural explanations evolve around critical diversity markers such as race, gender, ethnicity, religion et cetera, and these explanations are informed by historical categories and power dichotomies. Hence, a non-White, 'non-Western', female manager's actions might be interpreted differently than those of a White, 'Western', male manager who constitutes the implicit norm of CCM today. Based on these observations, we need to conclude that CCM contexts are power-laden, yet, it is still unclear how exactly power is intertwined with CCM and cultural explanations. What seems certain is that CCM and its applied version, namely intercultural training and communication, might not only contribute to facilitate better communication and understanding across cultures (as it is often implied). Rather, it might also perpetuate the very frameworks of power, involving critical phenomena such as ethnocentrism, othering, stereotyping, marginalization or discrimination, which it seeks to overcome.
In our stream, we wish to sketch the contours of a Critical CCM. We invite both empirical and theoretical contributions; both junior and senior scholars are welcome. We assume that qualitative studies are particularly suitable to an empirical investigation of CCM in its power-laden contexts, but our stream is not limited to a certain methodology or theoretical perspective. Contributions might focus on (but are not limited to):

1.     What is power and how can we conceptualize it for a Critical CCM?

2.     What can a Critical CCM learn from Critical Management Studies and Critical Theory?

3.     How exactly is power intertwined with CCM contexts and cultural explanations?

4.     How do critical diversity markers (race, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation et cetera) relate to CCM? Which power-laden processes of discrimination are linked to them and how can we investigate and overcome them?

5.     What are the limitations of current CCM in theory and practice, and how can we envisage a change to the better?

6.     Cases and examples of discriminatory practice in power-laden CCM contexts and their consequences.

As a potential contributor, please submit your

*       short paper (1.500 - 2.500 words; excluding references and tables) or

*       abstract (500 words; excluding references and tables)

to [log in to unmask] by January, 31st 2017.

Decision for acceptance: February 15th, 2017

Please do not hesitate to contact us in case of any questions.

Publication
A special issue in the International Journal of Cross-Cultural Management is envisaged.

Assc Prof. Laurence Romani
Centre for Advanced Studies in Leadership
Department of Management and Organization
Stockholm School of Economics
Box 6501
11383 Stockholm, Sweden
www.casl.se<http://www.casl.se/>