Assistant or Associate Professor of Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship

The Joan B. Kroc School of Peace Studies, University of San Diego, invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant or Associate Professor of Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship beginning in September 2017. Social innovation and entrepreneurship is an emerging interdisciplinary field. Candidates should hold a doctorate related to theories and practice of social transformation, in a discipline of the social sciences or humanities. We welcome applications from faculty coming from sociology, management, psychology, anthropology, economics, or political science whose teaching and research agendas intersect substantively with social innovation and entrepreneurship. Preference will be given to candidates with both professional entrepreneurial and academic experience. Special consideration will be given to applicants with a background in environmental policy and planning and/or conflict resolution.

At the Kroc School we honor what Joan B. Kroc believed: it is not enough to talk about peace; we must build it by taking action that transforms systems of injustice and oppression. Since 2003, our students have been empowered to solve real-world problems in real time. We connect visionaries from countries all over the world and actively assist collaborations through learning that goes beyond papers and presentations. At the Kroc School, it's not about teaching peace; it's about learning to become active participants in the practice of changemaking.

In this position, the successful candidate will teach our graduate and undergraduate students how to become innovators and entrepreneurs for peace and social justice. This involves creating courses in social innovation and entrepreneurship and other related activities. To be successful in our environment you must be able to teach courses by integrating out-of-the-classroom experiential learning, community engagement and design thinking. Candidates must demonstrate clear potential for scholarly excellence, as well as participate in program development and institution building.

Go to www.sandiego.edu/jobs and look for job #IRC22073 to apply. For full consideration, upload a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statements of research and teaching interests (no more than three pages each), a summary of teaching evaluations (if applicable), and a writing sample the length of a typical research article or book chapter. Three confidential letters of references must be submitted separately to Laura Pruyn at: [log in to unmask]. Correspondence regarding this position should be directed to Lee Ann Otto at: [log in to unmask]. Review of applications will begin on January 17, 2017; however, applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.

The University of San Diego is a Roman Catholic Institution committed to advancing academic excellence, expanding liberal and professional knowledge, creating a diverse and inclusive community, and preparing leaders dedicated to ethical conduct and compassionate service. USD is an Equal Opportunity employer, and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community. Candidates from underrepresented and underserved groups are encouraged to apply.

Denise Dimon, Ph.D. | Associate Provost for International Affairs
Professor of Economics and Director Ahlers Center for International Business
University of San Diego