The Department of Environmental Studies at the University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC)
invites applications for a tenured faculty position, who will also be the inaugural appointee as
the Stephen R. Gliessman Presidential Chair in Water Resources and Food Systems
Sustainability. We seek applicants with expertise in water and agroecology/sustainable
agriculture, and interests in current and future challenges facing the intersection among water
resources, agriculture, food security and other environmental issues. We are interested in
nationally and internationally known scholars with demonstrated leadership in exploring the
dynamic linkages between agrofood systems and surface and/or groundwater resources at
the landscape or watershed scales.

The Department of Environmental Studies comprises social and natural scientists committed
to cross-disciplinary collaboration. The candidate will work at the intersection of physical,
agroecological, and social sciences. We seek candidates to complement existing strengths in
agroecology, water policy, conservation, environmental risk, sustainable development, and
political economy. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated record of working with
interdisciplinary teams on environmental problem solving. We seek scholars who are
dedicated to teaching and mentoring at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. The
successful candidate must be able to work with students, faculty, and staff from a wide range
of social and cultural backgrounds. We are especially interested in candidates who can
contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community.

RANK: Associate or Full Professor

SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience; academic year (9-month) basis.

BASIC QUALIFICATIONS: Ph.D. or equivalent foreign degree, and demonstrated experience in
each of the following areas: research, university-level teaching, and service.

POSITION AVAILABLE: July 1, 2017, with academic year beginning September 2017.

TO APPLY: Applications are accepted via the UCSC Academic Recruit online system and must
include a letter of application discussing research agendas, teaching interests, and service
experience; curriculum vitae; 1-3 publications; names and contact information for three
references; and a statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity
through research, teaching, and/or service. All materials must be submitted as PDF files. The
search committee will inform applicants when letters of reference are requested for those
applicants selected for further review.

Apply at https://recruit.ucsc.edu/apply/JPF00366 Refer to Position #JPF00366-17 in all
correspondence.