Dear colleagues,

the University of Reading is home to the John H. Dunning Centre for International Business, one of the pioneering institutions in the study and analysis of IB. The Henley Business School (of which we are a part) prides itself for being at the epicentre of theoretical and conceptual inquiry in the field. Last year we inaugurated a series of PhD Masterclasses in International Business, which we intend to offer on an ongoing basis. These courses are generally between two and three days, and focus on conceptual issues and current debates in a particular aspect of IB. Each module is taught by some of the leading intellectual figures in that particular field.  This year we will offer two modules within one week in Autumn (31 October – 4 November 2016), and two modules within one week in the Spring (27-31 March 2017).  For details of last year’s courses see  https://www.henley.ac.uk/school/page/international-business-masterclasses/ <https://www.henley.ac.uk/school/page/international-business-masterclasses/>
It is our pleasure to invite applications from PhD students and early-career researchers to attend the Autumn 2016 Session of the Masterclasses. This session will be offered during the week of 31 October 2016, and will consist of two modules:

·      MMD003 <http://www.reading.ac.uk/module/document.aspx?modP=MMD003&modYR=1617> Economics of International Business by Mark Casson, 31 October−   2 November 2016 (Guest speaker: Gabriel Benito - linking economics and strategy in IB)

·      MMD005 <http://www.reading.ac.uk/module/document.aspx?modP=MMD005&modYR=1617> Strategy and International Business by Alain Verbeke, 2−5 November 2016.

To view the module descriptions of the above masterclasses, please click on the module codes above. We will also be offering a second set of two Masterclasses in the week commencing 27 March 2017. Currently the provisional titles are:

·      MMD006 <http://www.reading.ac.uk/module/document.aspx?modP=MMD006&modYR=1617> International Business, Development and Policy by Rajneesh Narula (Guest speakers TBC)

·      MMD007 <http://www.reading.ac.uk/module/document.aspx?modP=MMD007&modYR=1617> International Business, Innovation and Geography by Davide Castellani (Guest speakers TBC)

More details will be provided in the due course.

Participants can either attend these modules as formally enrolled students, or as non-enrolled attendees. The first option will provide formal recognition in the form of credits. Participants will be awarded 10 credits per module, an equivalent of 5 ECTS credits, upon positive evaluation of coursework and payment of a tuition fee (£230 for Home/EU students and £460 for Overseas students per module). The second option is free of tuition charges and will be non-credit bearing (participants will only receive a certificate of attendance). In either case, participants (or their institutions) will need to cover their own travel and lodging costs. The number of participants attending each masterclass is limited to a maximum of 30.

We are able to offer a limited number of travel studentships, generously sponsored by the Alan Rugman Memorial Fund and cover costs of flights and accommodation for the duration of the courses. These studentships are highly competitive.

Applications for the Autumn Session should include supporting documents as outlined below, and should be sent, by 30th September 2016, to the School Administrator, Daria Radwan on [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>:

·      a CV

·      a letter of reference

·      the attached application form duly filled

Best wishes,

Davide Castellani and Rajneesh Narula

Henley Business School, University of Reading,
Whiteknights, Reading, RG6 6UD
(  +44 (0) 118 378 8846
(e)  [log in to unmask]
: www.henley.ac.uk/people/person/davide-castellani/