I wanted to share the following as other may have some insight or experience with the problem.

The environment:

Workstation OS: Windows 7 Enterprise w/patches up to date
Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 w/patches up to date
Acrobat Pro DC 2015 Release - Classic Version 2015.006.30201 on some workstations
Selecting files for attachment from the "Recent Items" list.
Very recently went from a fairly generic Outlook signature standard in University Services to one that had in-line image/graphics in it.

Shortly after our users started using the new signature block, we were getting reports that sent email attachments were either missing (single file attached) or (in the case of multiple file attachments), if the first attached file was a word or excel file, that first file would be corrupted in the sent email.

What we found was if the file was selected for attachment from the "Recent Items" list (vs the "Browse this PC" option) users experienced this problem.  Further troubleshooting determined that this problem was only happening on workstations that also had Acrobat Pro DC installed.

We eventually determined that the combination of the Adobe Send & Track Outlook Add-In active in Outlook, selecting a file for attachment from the "Recent Items" list, and our new signature with in-line image/graphics resulted in the file missing/corruption problem manifesting

In our case, we are assisting with/advising users to disable the Adobe Send & Track Outlook Add-In on workstations with Acrobat DC Pro installed.  That feature is not used by our users and they want to continue to use the new "prettier" signature block along with the convenience of being able to use the "Recent Items" list for selecting file attachments. Users who have disabled the Add-In have not reported further issues.

With Office 2016, items that appear in "Recent Items" look to be shortcut references (vs the actual file path reference) that live in the %AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent folder, so that might be playing some role.  But I will admit to still being confused how an in-line image/graphics in a signature block would cause issues with the Adobe Send & Track Add-In to the point files go missing or are corrupted.

[cid:[log in to unmask]]

Al Bray
Information Technologist II
MSU University Services<http://usd.msu.edu/>
166 Service Rd.
East Lansing, MI 48824
(517) 884-6149 | [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Helping MSU make a difference in the world
by providing effective supply chain solutions