For earthquakes, floods and mass wasting  in the developing world vs developed world a good source would be:

Mutter, J., 2015, The Disaster Profiteers:  How Natural Disasters Make the Rich Richer and the Poor Even Poorer, St. Martins Press.
http://us.macmillan.com/thedisasterprofiteers/johncmutter

Good luck with your participation in the common book project; sounds like fun.

Kim