After multiple tries with multiple variations, including an OS reinstall
and an image restore from a known good point, I got WSUS with SSL to
work on Server 2012, but only on port 443.  I was never able to get
clients to communicate properly on port 8531.

The default configuration of WSUS on Server 2012 is with http port 8530,
which I was able to get to work as well as port 80.  After a server
rebuild (OS re-install), I downloaded all updates, configured WSUS, and
then changed to port 80 mode with the following command:

"c:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools\WsusUtil.exe" usecustomwebsite false

I saved an image of the server at that point because WSUS configuration
seems to be rather fragile.  Then I created a binding in IIS for port
443 on the website with a certificate (from InCommon) selected in the
dropdown list of installed certificates and made the other SSL settings
necessary as documented on the web. Then I configured SSL for WSUS with
the following command:

"c:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools\WsusUtil.exe" configuressl
server.level3.msu.edu

where server.level3.msu.edu was a subject name from the installed
certificate.

The netsh commands I used to configure the firewall for WSUS were the
following:

advfirewall firewall
delete rule name="HTTP"
add rule name="HTTP" action=allow protocol=TCP dir=in localport=80
remoteip=LocalSubnet,192.168.113.0/24,35.8.0.0/13,35.20.0.0/17,35.22.0.0/17
advfirewall firewall
delete rule name="SSL"
add rule name="SSL" action=allow protocol=TCP dir=in localport=443
remoteip=LocalSubnet,192.168.113.0/24,35.8.0.0/13,35.20.0.0/17,35.22.0.0/17

Then, in Group Policy, I updated a policy object with the item "Specify
intranet Microsoft update service location" to specify the new server
address https://server.level3.msu.edu:443 (under Computer
Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update)

-Stefan