Dear GEOCOG & GEOED subscribers,

We would like to invite you to submit an abstract for a Pop-Up session at the American
Geophysical Union (AGU) 2016 Fall Meeting. The Pop-Up sessions provide a platform for
students and early career scientists to share their ideas, innovations and visions during 5
minute TED-style presentations. Previous editions have drawn a broad audience from all
scientific disciplines and career stages. This year, there are two Pop-Up sessions:

Water Sciences: Innovations, Challenges and Future Directions
This session provides young scientists the opportunity to give 5 minute presentations on
their future vision(s) of water sciences.  Presentations should strive to go beyond one’s
research to address broader issues. Some examples of questions that might be answered in
this session include:

- How can we advance water sciences using the ever-growing pool of accessible data?
- How do we manage the Food-Water-Energy Nexus under a changing climate?
- The Cloud, one big brain?
- “Go big or go home” or “It’s the little details that are vital”?

Social Dimensions of Geosciences
This session offers students an opportunity to share success stories, discuss challenges, and
calls for future directions related to the social dimensions of geosciences in 5 minute
pitches. Topics may include both the inward- and the outward-looking needs for the AGU
community. Inward-looking topics may include networking skills, work-life balance,
interdisciplinary research, and mentorship experiences and opportunities. Outward-looking
topics may include use-inspired science, community participation, science communication,
environmental policy, and inclusive research communities.

Note, there’s no submission fee! The deadline to submit is August 3 and submissions can be
made at http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2016/students/events/pop-up-talks/ <http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2016/students/events/pop-up-talks/>.  For inspiration
and notable examples check the Pop-Up repository on YouTube (see link below). The Pop-
Ups are organized by the AGU Hydrology Section Student Subcommittee (H3S) in
cooperation with the Young Hydrologic Society!

We also want to highlight an alternative session—Sympathy for the Data: Novel approaches
to the art of data visualization—which will take place as lighting talks or a panel discussion.
For more information, please see the session description:
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm16/preliminaryview.cgi/Session13499 <https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm16/preliminaryview.cgi/Session13499>.

We look forward seeing your Pop-Up in San Francisco!

All the best,

Natasha Krell ([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Sheila Saia ([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Niels Claes ([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Harsh Beria ([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Kevin Roche ([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>)

Pop Ups info: http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2016/students/events/pop-up-talks/ <http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2016/students/events/pop-up-talks/>
YouTube repository: https://goo.gl/jk9PNJ <https://goo.gl/jk9PNJ>
Young Hydrologic Society: https://younghs.com/ <https://younghs.com/>
@AGU_H3S