—————

Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this announcement.

My authored book Strategic Coupling: East Asian Industrial Transformation in the New Global Economy has just been published by Cornell University Press in its Cornell Studies in Political Economy series (edited by Peter Katzenstein):

April 2016 | 288 pages | 978-1-5017-0256-3 paperback | $29.95/�19.99 $20.97/�13.99

Claim your 30% discount when you order online using promotion code CAU6

http://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/book/?GCOI=80140100059400

In Strategic Coupling, I examine changing state-firm relations in East Asia, focusing in particular on the global competitiveness of leading transnational corporations from South Korea, Taiwan, and Singapore. As a result of the massive changes of the last twenty-five years, I argue that new explanations must be found for the economic success of these leading Asian firms and industrial transformation in the region. State-assisted startups and incubator firms in East Asia have become major players in the manufacture of products with a global reach: Taiwan's Hon Hai Precision has assembled more than 500 million iPhones, for instance, and South Korea’s Samsung provides the iPhone’s semiconductor chips and retina displays.

Drawing on extensive interviews with top executives and senior government officials, I argue that since the late 1980s, many East Asian firms have outgrown their home states, and are no longer dependent on state support; as a result the developmental state has lost much of its capacity to steer and direct industrialization. Grounded in the global production networks theory, I focus on action taken by these East Asian firms and trace various global production networks to incorporate both firm-specific activities and the international political economy. In particular, I have identified two sets of dynamics in these national-global articulations known as strategic coupling: coevolution in the confluence of state, firm, and global production networks, and the various strategies pursued by East Asian firms to attain competitive positions in the global marketplace. The book will be of direct interest to scholars in international business studies.

Henry
Henry YeungCo-Director, the new GPN@NUS Centre
Professor of Economic Geography, National University of Singapore
Websites: Homepage,  Google Scholar, and ResearchGate
Director, JY Pillay Comparative Asia Research Centre@NUS Global Asia Institute

New book with Cornell University PressStrategic Coupling: East Asian Industrial Transformation in the New Global Economy, Cornell Studies in Political Economy (editor: Peter Katzenstein)April 2016.

Recent book with Oxford University PressGlobal Production Networks: Theorizing Economic Development  in an Interconnected WorldNeil Coe and Henry Yeung, published in April 2015.

Important: This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately; you should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person. Thank you.