Hi Glenn,

We've been working quite a bit on building virtual and augmented reality field trips over the past year in UBC Geography. It's great to hear that others see the same potential as we do! We have a few resources that you might find useful.

Our library of VR/AR-related field trip publications is publically available here: https://www.mendeley.com/groups/7186151/flexible-learning-project-ubc-geography/papers/added/0/tag/fieldtrip/

One of our research assistants summarized these articles in an annotated bibliography: http://open.geog.ubc.ca/annotated-bibliography-1-virtual-field-trips/

I recently wrote a blog post discussing some of the challenges, solutions and student feedback in using VR in our courses: http://open.geog.ubc.ca/virtual-and-augmented-reality-technology-assisted-fieldtrips-student-based-approaches-to-using-new-technologies/

We'll be presenting a talk on best practices of technology-assisted field trips at the Geological Association of Canada meeting, if you are attending: http://gac.esd.mun.ca/gac_2016/search_abs/sub_program.asp?sess=98&form=10&abs_no=251

Lastly, I developed a photosphere-based Natural Hazards field trip based here in Vancouver that you might find interesting: http://blogs.ubc.ca/fieldtrips/

It would be great to connect and discuss any of this further. I think there is real potential to collaborate on sharing our work as OER, but there are significant challenges as well (e.g. effective content creation, storage space). Building a network of Geoscience educators interested in creating VR/AR field trips could help alleviate some of these concerns and result in more opportunities for our students.

Cheers,

Derek.

Derek Turner, PhD, P.Geo.
Teaching and Learning Fellow | Department of Geography
The University of British Columbia

GEOG 129a | 1984 West Mall | Vancouver BC, V6T 1Z2
[log in to unmask] | 604.789.1507 | geog.ubc.ca